COVID-19 VACCINATION POLICY
To prioritize the well-being, health, and safety of our school community, Brooklyn Laboratory Charter School will require all staff members to have completed their full COVID-19 vaccination by September 30, 2021. In compliance with federal and state laws, we will be offering exemptions to employees who, for medical or strongly held religious reasons, are not able to be vaccinated.
ABOUT BROOKLYN LAB
Brooklyn Laboratory Charter Schools (LAB) is a network of open enrollment, college-prep, public charter schools that opened its first middle school in downtown Brooklyn in 2014. LAB opened its second middle school in the fall of 2016, and will open its first two high schools in the fall of 2017, both in downtown Brooklyn. LAB is dedicated to serving the highest need students regardless of their academic level, English language proficiency, or disability. To achieve this, we couple a high expectations approach with an innovative, Common Core-aligned, next generation learning model designed to drastically improve the academic success of our scholars. Our focus on the whole scholar and in building our school community has established Brooklyn Lab as one of the best middle schools in the country for academic growth – adding two and three years of academic growth on average for our scholars. We invite you to be part of a transformation in education and to inspire a diverse a group of scholars with a lifelong love of learning.
The LAB Formula:
- More Time in School: Extended day, week, and school year focused on academic learning and unique enrichment activities (e.g., Robotics, Digital Media, Coding, Debate, Visual Arts).
- High Dose Tutoring: Personalized, small group tutoring from trained college graduates for at least two hours each day.
- Next Generation Learning: A college prep curriculum with Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) -focused enrichment activities to prepare students to succeed in jobs of the future.
ABOUT TEACHING AT BROOKLYN LAB
Teaching at Brooklyn Lab is unlike teaching in a traditional environment.
Our teachers know the individual strengths and areas for growth of each of their scholars. By design, our schools are small communities where every scholar is known.
Teachers at Brooklyn Lab plan and empower their scholars by deeply understanding scholar data, using our personalized learning platform Cortex and determining group/individual supports for scholars to move towards mastery of grade level content
In addition to teaching their course(s), our faculty understands the value of collaboration. They share best practices across the network, mentor young educators who serve as Fellows, get and implement feedback from coaches and their instructional lead and work as a team to provide their scholars with a high-quality education.
As a Brooklyn LAB Science Teacher you will:
- Serve as science content lead to four classrooms of approximately 33 students
- Provide rigorous lessons aligned with the Common Core and the Next Generation standards via small groups and conferencing with students
- Work with co-teacher to curate lessons that are a mix of traditional lessons and digital/on-line supports
- Commit to preparing every student for high school graduation and success in a four-year college or university
- Implement frequent formative assessments, in addition to summative assessments and analyze student achievement data to inform and personalize instruction to meet the needs of students
- Constantly review student level data to inform instruction and student groupings
- Collaborate across the grade level teams and other school teams, as needed
**Other duties, based on the needs of the school and its scholars.
ABOUT THE DESIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING & MINDSET:
- A BA/BS degree, in applicable subject; (MA degree is preferable)
- High GPA in an academic major, is preferable
- Valid New York State Teaching Certification, preferably in the applicable subject area
- 1-3 years minimum of teaching experience in diverse and urban areas, is preferable
- Commitment to LAB’s mission and academic objectives: that all students, regardless of background and incoming ability, can achieve at high levels
- Record of using data in the classroom to drive student outcomes; commitment to frequent formative assessment and student accountability
- Demonstrated belief in a structured, predictable and safe environment for children
- Willingness to build relationships with students, families and other school members
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Willingness to absorb feedback and engage in self-improvement; ability to reflect and adjust
*Whenever possible, LAB seeks to hire Teachers certified in special education and/or teaching English to speakers of other languages, in addition to the subject they teach, to provide additional support to students with special needs and/or limited English proficiency.
ABOUT BENEFITS & COMPENSATION:
Brooklyn LAB Teachers will receive a competitive benefits package that improves over time and is competitive with other New York City charter schools.
In addition to competitive salaries, Brooklyn LAB benefits package includes:
- 80% cost share of health, dental, and vision plans
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- 5% of annualized base salary contribution to a LAB retirement plan which vests at a percentage annually
- An individual professional development allowance
BECOME BROOKLYN LAB!
Brooklyn LAB is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and is committed to equal access for those with disabilities in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
To join Brooklyn LAB, please submit a resume and cover letter, including your interest in Brooklyn LAB and how you learned about the position.
Please note that due to our selection criteria, we will only notify candidates who meet our selection criteria.
This search is being run by NRG Consulting Group.