Brooklyn LAB is looking for a High School Arts Teacher to join the High School Team!
ABOUT BROOKLYN LAB
Brooklyn Laboratory Charter Schools (LAB) is a network of open enrollment, college-prep, public charter schools that prepares students with the academic foundation, digital literacy, and leadership skills necessary to excel in college and professional life as they grow as ethical leaders.
The LAB Formula:
More Time in School: Extended day, week, and school year focused on academic learning and unique enrichment activities (e.g., Robotics, Digital Media, Coding, Debate, Visual Arts).
- High Dose Tutoring: Personalized, small group tutoring from trained college graduates for at least two hours each day.
- Next Generation Learning: A college prep curriculum with Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) -focused enrichment activities to prepare students to succeed in jobs of the future.
ABOUT TEACHING AT BROOKLYN LAB
Teaching at Brooklyn Lab is unlike teaching in a traditional environment.
Our teachers know the individual strengths and areas for growth of each of their scholars. By design, our schools are small communities where every scholar is known.
Teachers at Brooklyn Lab plan and empower their scholars by deeply understanding scholar data, using our personalized learning platform Cortex and determining group/individual supports for scholars to move towards mastery of grade level content.
In addition to teaching their course(s), our faculty understands the value of collaboration. They share best practices across the network, mentor young educators who serve as Fellows, get and implement feedback from coaches and their instructional lead and work as a team to provide their scholars with a high-quality education.
As a Brooklyn LAB Health Teacher, you will:
- Provide art based classroom instruction to classrooms of approximately 25 students in 9th-11th grade
- Lead an art club for after school activities
- Plan and execute a yearly student led art show
- Provide rigorous lessons aligned with New York State Health Standards and the Next Generation standards
- Commit to preparing every student for high school graduation and success in a four-year college or university
- Implement frequent formative assessments, in addition to summative assessments and analyze student achievement data to inform and personalize instruction to meet the needs of students
- Lead a daily advisory
- Constantly review student level data to inform instruction and student groupings
- Collaborate across the grade level teams and other school teams, as needed
**Other duties, based on the needs of the school and its scholars.
ABOUT THE DESIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING & MINDSET:
- A BA/BS degree, in applicable subject; (MA degree is preferable)
- High GPA in an academic major, is preferable
- Valid New York State Teaching Certification
- 3 years minimum of teaching experience in diverse and urban areas, is preferable
- Commitment to LAB’s mission and academic objectives: that all students, regardless of background and incoming ability, can achieve at high levels
- Record of using data in the classroom to drive student outcomes; commitment to frequent formative assessment and student accountability
- Demonstrated belief in a structured, predictable and safe environment for children
- Willingness to build relationships with students, families and other school members
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Willingness to absorb feedback and engage in self-improvement; ability to reflect and adjust
*Whenever possible, LAB seeks to hire Teachers certified in special education and/or teaching English to speakers of other languages, in addition to the subject they teach, to provide additional support to students with special needs and/or limited English proficiency.
ABOUT BENEFITS & COMPENSATION:
Brooklyn LAB Teachers will receive a competitive benefits package that improves over time and is competitive with other New York City charter schools.
In addition to competitive salaries, Brooklyn LAB benefits package includes:
- 80% cost share of health, dental, and vision plans
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Annualized contribution to a LAB retirement plan which vests at a percentage annually
- An individual professional development allowance
BECOME BROOKLYN LAB!
Brooklyn LAB is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and is committed to equal access for those with disabilities in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
To join Brooklyn LAB, please submit a resume and cover letter, including your interest in Brooklyn LAB and how you learned about the position.
Please note that due to our selection criteria, we will only notify candidates who meet our selection criteria.