Brooklyn LAB is looking for a Human Resources Manager to join the Shared Services Team!
ABOUT BROOKLYN LAB
Brooklyn Laboratory Charter Schools (LAB) is a network of open enrollment, college-prep, public charter schools that prepares students with the academic foundation, digital literacy, and leadership skills necessary to excel in college and professional life as they grow as ethical leaders.
The LAB Formula:
- More Time in School: Extended day, week, and school year focused on academic learning and unique enrichment activities (e.g., Robotics, Digital Media, Coding, Debate, Visual Arts).
- High Dose Tutoring: Personalized, small group tutoring from trained college graduates for at least two hours each day.
- Next Generation Learning: A college prep curriculum with Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) -focused enrichment activities to prepare students to succeed in jobs of the future.
ABOUT WORKING AT BROOKLYN LAB
Working at Brooklyn Lab is unlike any traditional environment.
Teachers and staff members alike empower scholars and colleagues on a daily basis. By design, our schools are small communities where every scholar, teacher and staff member support and grow one another. Both staff and faculty understand the value of collaboration and share best practices across the network, while mentoring and receiving feedback from their teams.
As a Brooklyn LAB Human Resources Manager you will lead:
Human Capital Strategy
- Work closely with Human Resources team to coordinate internal marketing of open positions and supports hiring managers to ensure organization-wide consistency
- Set expectations for individual ownership of career development planning and supports managers in creating and executing plans with staff and teams
- Ensure organization is an “employer of choice,” able to attract, develop and retain top talent
- Develop and embed a compelling employee value proposition across all departments
- Make and/or support leadership team to make hiring decisions, as appropriate
- Actively contribute to K-12 talent field, leveraging an external network to surface and share practices for attracting, developing and retaining talent
- Understand K-12 systems and what it takes to lead and manage complex education organizations to achieve results
- Lead daily talent standups and manage recruiter to ensure candidate complete hiring process in under 15 days
- Annually review and make recommendations to Executive Leadership team for the improvement of LAB’s personnel policies, procedures and practices
- Create an organizational culture that embraces the importance of seeking and listening to diverse perspectives, both within and outside of LAB
- Refine onboarding processes for LAB staff, ensuring that all new hires are introduced to our values and culture and hiring teams are fully prepared to manage professional development
- Champion talent as an engine for achieving LAB’s mission, promoting a culture and climate that authentically values our human capital with a strong focus on high performance, retention and sustainability, and diversity and inclusion
- Promote culture that celebrates employee contributions through variety of informal and formal activities
- Maintain employee engagement and satisfaction survey and analyzes data to glean trends and insights for the Executive Leadership team
Human Capital Management
- Manage an HR and Talent Team of 3 people
- Create and enforces talent policies that support diversity and inclusion as LAB’s priority
- Lead the organization's DEI work
- Apply technical HR acumen expertise by demonstrating knowledge about state and federal labor, employment, and insurance law
- Manage HR programs and benefits, including health, dental, vision, HRA, FSA, DCA, transit, 403(B), short-term disability, long-term disability, worker’s compensation, and life insurance plans
- Ensure that LAB’s HR practices and the actions of its managers and employees are consistent with applicable laws and regulations and LAB’s fiscal policies and procedures
- Model highest level of personal and professional trust with members across organization
- Mediate complex conflicts and identify sources of conflict to prevent future escalation
- Provide cover within department, encouraging teams and individuals to raise issues in service of student impact and organizational effectiveness
- Lead organization through conflict, facilitating resolutions that protect the organization’s interests and prioritize student needs
- Collaborate with Executive Leadership to proactively resolve employee relations issues
- Lead LAB's high quality performance evaluation design and processes, including clear performance frameworks, timely evaluations, and accessible data
- Implement performance evaluation systems and oversees review cycles for all school and network roles
- Set organizational standards for performance of instructional and operations staff, consistent with relevant labor contracts
- Set vision for professional development for non-instructional staff
- Maintain up-to-date knowledge of approaches to and external partners in talent development and leads implementation of new methods as appropriate
- Guide management team to deliver feedback and manage hard conversations
- Ensure evaluations provide actionable feedback linked with professional development opportunities, resulting in improved outcomes
- Determine plan to implement rewards, recognition, and incentives to drive employee growth and increase retention of high-performers
- Other duties as designated by Supervisor
Payroll and Administrative Duties
- Ensure timely completion of payroll in collaboration with the Finance team
- Ensure timely enrollment, reconciliation and termination of employee benefits
- Ensure timely response to an external notices or changes in policy
- Other duties as designated by Supervisor
**Other duties, based on the needs of the school and its scholars.
ABOUT THE DESIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING & MINDSET:
- A BA/BS degree from an accredited institution; Master's preferred
- Attention to detail and the ability to multi-task
- 5-7 years of experience working in large or fast-paced departments, is a plus
- Commitment to LAB’s mission and academic objectives: that all students, regardless of background and incoming ability, can achieve at high levels
- Demonstrated belief in a structured, predictable and safe environment for children
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team and a motivated attitude
- Master’s preferred; Bachelor’s degree required from an accredited college/university
- PHR or SPHR certification preferred but not required
- Experience with Paychex
- Broad experience in human resources, employee benefits, and compensation in an organization or division of comparable size to LAB
- Experience in supporting organizational leaders with performance management and building a strong and innovative workplace culture
- Experience with procurement and management of benefits programs
- Knowledge of employment law, employee benefits, compensation, and compliance, and familiarity with best practices in human resources
- Energy and creativity in addressing HR issues; courageous; not afraid to break new ground
- Excellent presentation and communication skills (written and oral)
- Deep sense of empathy and ability to communicate across diverse groups; strong service orientation
- Absolute integrity and the ability to handle sensitive and confidential employment information with discretion; strong judgment, decision-making, and problem-solving skills
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Commitment to LAB’s mission and academic objectives; a demonstrated belief that all students, regardless of background and incoming ability, can achieve at high levels
- A “can do” attitude and the ability work as part of a team
- Comfort with accountability and ability to absorb feedback and engage in self-improvement
- A desire to make others successful
- Demonstrated enthusiasm and optimism
- An understanding that the first years of school start-up require commitment, hard work, and hours beyond normal teaching positions
- Ability to reflect and adjust to a dynamic and rapidly changing environment.
ABOUT BENEFITS & COMPENSATION:
Brooklyn LAB staff will receive a competitive benefits package that improves over time and is competitive with other New York City charter schools.
In addition to competitive salaries, Brooklyn LAB benefits package includes:
- 80% cost share of health, dental, and vision plans
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Annualized contribution to a LAB retirement plan which vests at a percentage annually
- An individual professional development allowance
The salary range for this position is $62,000-$85,000.
BECOME BROOKLYN LAB!
Brooklyn LAB is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and is committed to equal access for those with disabilities in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
To join Brooklyn LAB, please submit a resume and cover letter, including your interest in Brooklyn LAB and how you learned about the position.
Please note that due to our selection criteria, we will only notify candidates who meet our selection criteria.