Brooklyn LAB is looking for a Dean of Humanities to join our Middle School Team!
ABOUT BROOKLYN LAB
Brooklyn Laboratory Charter Schools (LAB) is a network of open enrollment, college-prep, public charter schools that prepares students with the academic foundation, digital literacy, and leadership skills necessary to excel in college and professional life as they grow as ethical leaders.
The LAB Formula:
- More Time in School: Extended day, week, and school year focused on academic learning and unique enrichment activities (e.g., Robotics, Digital Media, Coding, Debate, Visual Arts).
- High Dose Tutoring: Personalized, small group tutoring from trained college graduates for at least two hours each day.
- Next Generation Learning: A college prep curriculum with Science, Technology, Engineering, Arts, and Math (STEAM) -focused enrichment activities to prepare students to succeed in jobs of the future.
ABOUT INSTRUCTIONAL LEADERSHIP AT BROOKLYN LAB
Leading at Brooklyn Lab is unlike teaching in a traditional environment.
Our deans and coaches help teacher understand and know the individual strengths and areas for growth of each of their scholars. By design, our schools are small communities where every scholar is known.
Leaders at Brooklyn Lab empower their teams by deeply understanding scholar data, using our personalized learning platform Cortex and determining group/individual supports for scholars to move towards mastery of grade level content. This role involves coaching adults, leading academic and professional development planning, and leading the LAB Corp.
Our faculty understands the value of collaboration. They share best practices across the network, mentor young educators who serve as Fellows, get and implement feedback from coaches and their instructional lead and work as a team to provide their scholars with a high-quality education.
As a Dean of Humanities you will:
Instructional Leadership. Coach, develop, and evaluate teachers. With your School Director, identify a cohort of teachers for whom you have direct management and coaching responsibility. With this group, perform targeted weekly coaching to increase level of execution of academics and developing strong classroom culture. Utilize management tools and coaching feedback through TeachBoost. Enhance teachers content knowledge through leading weekly content planning meetings, and increase teachers
ability to effectively use data to drive instruction through weekly data meetings.
Lead Professional Development: Identify opportunities to lead Professional Learning Community sessions and protocols. With your School Director, identify the right cadence and specific set of responsibilities for leading ongoing campus-wide professional development sessions. Coordinate with the Lavinia Group. Coordinate with the Lavinia Group to roll out Close Reading across grades 6-8, building the capacity of leading educators, while supporting the Deans of the LAB Corp to invest in teaching fellows as the key lever. Win on Clore Reading roll out, coordinate onsite with Lavinia Group to include, but not limited to, observations with real time coaching, model lessons, data analysis and action planning. Partner and share communication with teams on your campus and across LAB to further develop and collaborate on best practices.
Embody LAB Culture. Internalizes LAB’s mission and vision of learning and academic systems and excites coaching caseload about what’s possible for our scholars, families, and communities. Demonstrates a positive attitude, resilience and openness to change. Adapts one’s approach as the requirements of a situation change, is comfortable in ambiguous situations, and works effectively in a
variety of settings with individuals and groups of diverse backgrounds and experiences.
People Management. Manages people development, work activities, and performance with the goal
of optimizing efficient use of talent. Develop plans for staff development, coaches others, and
addresses performance issues and conflicts at the individual and organizational level.
Drive Student Results. Maintains a laser-like focus on meeting shared goals by working with colleagues to analyze data to make informed decisions about scholar-specific planning, and supports teacher caseload/grade team to review and assess Cortex data to drive instructional decisions. Ensure that teachers are entering data into Cortex on weekly basis including but not limited to maintaining
Invest Stakeholders. Builds a coalition among teacher caseload/grade team to garner support for LAB priorities. Works collaboratively with others and forges connections with teacher caseload in order to advance the LAB mission and vision.
Drive Teacher Improvement. Communicates feedback that yields a change in teacher performance and builds open, trusting relationships and investment in Brooklyn LAB.
Intellectual Prep Execution. Ensure educators execute the School’s approach and system of quality Intellectual Prep and lesson internalization and report weekly in Campus Leadership Team.
Assessment Coordination. Lead daily, weekly, and interim assessment schedules and logistics. Ensure that the Regents preparation and testing is planned, executed and successful in partnership with the Dean of of Humanities Instruction and the Dean of STEM Instruction.
Curricular and Intervention Execution. Ensure fidelity of execution on a daily basis for the scope and sequence for assigned grade level(s) and courses and monitor each educators’ daily progress against the scope and sequence assigned by the Instructional Leadership Team. Ensure grade-level teams and instructors devise and execute high-impact support plans for struggling students.
Lead Data Cycles. Analyze school-wide and grade level data regularly in order to design responsive student interventions. Track other useful academic data (e.g. homework completion rates) in Cortex and Illuminate; communicate progress to students, teachers and parents. Facilitate regular, meaningful assessment data debriefs with teachers. Participate in data day planning and execution.
Other duties as assigned.
**Other duties, based on the needs of the school and its scholars.
ABOUT THE DESIRED EDUCATION, TRAINING & MINDSET:
- A BA/BS degree, in applicable subject; (MA degree is preferable)
- High GPA in an academic major, is preferable
- Valid New York State Teaching Certification, preferably in the applicable subject area
- 1-3 years minimum of teaching experience in diverse and urban areas, is preferable
- Proven ability to coach others towards improving their practice;
- Firm grasp of curriculum and an unwavering commitment to data-driven instruction;
- Deep experience in the design, integration, implementation and management of a school including knowledge of best practices in curriculum, instructional practices, and professional development;
- Has proven ability to manage/supervise, can create/facilitate effective systems and structures for supervision;
- Commitment to LAB’s mission and academic objectives: that all students, regardless of background and incoming ability, can achieve at high levels
- Record of using data in the classroom to drive student outcomes; commitment to frequent formative assessment and student accountability
- Demonstrated belief in a structured, predictable and safe environment for children
- Willingness to build relationships with students, families and other school members
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team
- Willingness to absorb feedback and engage in self-improvement; ability to reflect and adjust
*Whenever possible, LAB seeks to hire Teachers certified in special education and/or teaching English to speakers of other languages, in addition to the subject they teach, to provide additional support to students with special needs and/or limited English proficiency.
ABOUT BENEFITS & COMPENSATION:
Brooklyn LAB Teachers will receive a competitive benefits package that improves over time and is competitive with other New York City charter schools.
In addition to competitive salaries, Brooklyn LAB benefits package includes:
- 80% cost share of health, dental, and vision plans
- Pre-tax commuter benefits
- Investment in a 403b
- An individual professional development allowance
BECOME BROOKLYN LAB!
Brooklyn LAB is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes candidates of diverse backgrounds and is committed to equal access for those with disabilities in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA).
To join Brooklyn LAB, please submit a resume and cover letter, including your interest in Brooklyn LAB and how you learned about the position.
Please note that due to our selection criteria and high volume of applicants, we will only notify candidates who meet our selection criteria.