InnovateEDU is a Brooklyn-based non-profit whose mission is to eliminate the achievement gap by accelerating innovation in Common Core-aligned, next generation learning models and tools that serve, inform, and enhance teaching and learning. InnovateEDU administers programs including an urban education Fellowship and after school program, supports partner schools during startup phases, develops educational technology tools, and works to improve data interoperability in K-12 education.
InnovateEDU is seeking a Junior Software Developer who can create/maintain the existing deployments of our CortexLMS application.
Cortex is an integrated SIS and LMS that can create personalized learning progressions for students that allow students to own their own data and drive their own learning. With a focus on mastery of skills, Cortex allows teachers to track mastery against the Common Core or other state-based learning standards. The platform allows students and teachers to track completion of a progression across goals and subjects through a common data visualization for mastery of content.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Developing custom applications; programming, database mapping, data collection
- Translate end user requirements into working solutions
- Maintaining Cortex applications; adding functionality/capabilities and debugging application errors
- Ticket handling (via Jira); Primary response ticket intake, ensure ticket documentation is maintained, and responses are completed in a timely manner
- Successful completion of a 2-3 year College or University Program, or have equivalent experience
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills and a clear understanding of software engineering patterns and practices (e.g. SOLID, agile, CI, etc)
- Administrative Skills for Linux and Windows Server Based Environments is considered an asset
- Networking experience is considered an asset
- Help desk experience (Troubleshooting PC / Printer / Network issues) is considered an asset
- Experience in the education industry would be considered an asset
- Some experience with
- distributed event-driven applications using durable messaging (e.g. NServiceBus)
- Kendo-UI or other web control libraries
- managing Azure resources (Web Sites, Azure SQL, Azure Storage, etc.)
- working with raw data (bulk data transmission, loading, and processing
- working with end-users (support calls/emails, on-site training, etc.)
- providing services and solutions to K-12 education clients
Skills and Abilities
- Ability to actively listen to customers about concerns or issues that arise and develop solutions to the issues
- Ability to show versatility and resourcefulness when problem solving; develop solutions to a variety of issues
- Strong interpersonal skills; ability to effectively communicate with team members to derive problems and determine needs
- Ability to organize priorities based on deadlines and importance of tasks
- Manage time efficiently while working on several different tasks at once
- Ability to adapt to changing demands from customers when software failure happens
- Maintain a high level of accuracy and detail orientation when developing software systems
- Willingness to be flexible and adjust plans to achieve intended outcomes
- Demonstrated commitment to InnovateEDU’s mission
- Ability to multi-task and balance detailed steps with strategy to ensure successful and timely project completion
Please reach out to email@example.com with any questions.