InnovateEDU is a nonprofit organization with a mission to close the achievement gap in education through the development of innovative models and tools that serve, inform, and enhance teaching and learning. InnovateEDU brings together leaders in education and technology to design and develop breakthrough models and tools to help ensure that all students graduate from high school ready to succeed in college and careers of their choosing. We train educators and educate students with the goal of substantially improving the academic achievement of students in urban public schools. We develop technology, implement and urban education Fellowship and afterschool program at Brooklyn Laboratory Charter Schools, and advocate for data interoperability in education, among other projects.
InnovateEDU seeks a Part Time Human Resources Coordinator to join our team. The human resource generalist is responsible for applying business knowledge and human resources expertise in the performance of HR-related duties on a professional level. Working closely with the Chief of Staff, he or she will assist in providing a wide range of HR support and advice, as well as play a key role in the success of InnovateEDU by offering guidance on recruitment, terminations, performance management, payroll, benefits administration, employment law compliance, and HR best practices, while also ensuring that the organization fosters positive relationships between employees.
This is a part time position working approximately 20 hours per week. InnovateEDU is not hiring for a full time human resources staff member at this time.
- Administers various human resources plans and procedures for all organization personnel; assists in the development and implementation of personnel policies and procedures; maintains and ensures compliance with the employee handbook and the policies and procedures manual.
- Manages the process of preparing payroll including coordinating with supervisors on timesheet reviews and paid time off, and preparing payroll for final review by management.
- Works closely with supervisors to implement performance management systems including provision of ongoing feedback, training, and performance reviews.
- Manages employee benefits, including initial offers, claims resolution, change reporting, broker relations, and communicating benefits information to employees.
- Supports recruitment and hiring efforts for open positions by drafting job posts, posting open positions, assisting with interview processes as needed, checking references, and preparing offer letters for candidates for employment.
- Manage the onboarding process for all employees including ensuring that employees complete required paperwork, background checks, medical screenings, and training. Coordinate with supervisors to ensure that robust onboarding and performance management systems are in place for all new employees.
- Maintains personnel files, background check and training records, the organization’s directory, and the Paychex HRIS system.
- Manages HR reporting and employment verification including employee and compensation related survey requests. Oversees OSHA and Unemployment and ensures that all filings and record keeping are completed in accordance with regulations.
- Monitors all leaves including vacation, safe/sick, paid family leave, FMLA, bereavement, and comp time. Works with employees and supervisors to ensure that all procedures are followed.
- Ensures organizational compliance with federal, state and local employment and benefits laws and regulations.
- Must be willing to work part time in our office located in Brooklyn, NY.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resources Management, psychology, education, or related
- 2+ years experience in HR (experience working within NYC and NYS employment requirements strongly preferred; nonprofit or education industry experience preferred)
- Experience working in a school or non-profit context preferred
- Expertise in advanced and specialized HR policies and procedures
- Strong knowledge of hiring processes
- Understanding of HR best practices and current regulations
- Sound judgment and problem-solving skills
- Customer service-focused attitude, with high level of professionalism and discretion
- Familiarity Paychex and other HRIS systems preferred
- Excellent communication skills
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail