ABOUT BROOKLYN LAB
Brooklyn Laboratory Charter Schools (LAB) is a network of open enrollment, college-prep, public charter schools that opened its first middle school in downtown Brooklyn in 2014. LAB opened its second middle school in the fall of 2016, and will open its first two high schools in the fall of 2017, both in downtown Brooklyn. LAB is dedicated to serving the highest need students regardless of their academic level, English language proficiency, or disability. To achieve this, we couple a high expectations approach with an innovative, Common Core-aligned, next generation learning model designed to drastically improve the academic success of our scholars. Our focus on the whole scholar and in building our school community has established Brooklyn Lab as one of the best middle schools in the country for academic growth – adding two and three years of academic growth on average for our scholars. We invite you to be part of a transformation in education and to inspire a diverse a group of scholars with a lifelong love of learning.
Brooklyn Lab Charter Schools is seeking a Director of Technology to provide leadership and assume management responsibility for the direction, coordination, integration and implementation of technology across all school buildings and departments. The Director of Technology will be responsible for planning, purchasing, installing and maintaining physical technology systems of LAB in a condition of excellence enabling full educational use of technology at all times in compliance with local, state, and federal regulations and requirements. We are seeking someone who truly enjoys working with passionate people in an entrepreneurial, fastpaced environment. This is a hands-on position with responsibilities that range from strategic and long range planning and implementation of systemwide technology solutions, to providing one on one, and group training and support. Experience working in the education field is important for understanding how technology supports educational outcomes, where technology funding sources can be accessed, and that a culture of collaboration and creativity can support success.
LAB is an urban charter network with 850 students.
This job reports to the Executive Director. This position is a member of the Leadership team.
- Attends various events (e.g. meetings, conferences, training sessions, LAB information sessions, Board Meetings, administrator events) for the purpose of communicating and/or gathering information required to perform the functions of the job.
- Authorizes permissions and individual access to technology applications or services for the purpose of ensuring proper access to technology systems by staff, students, parents and others consistent with LAB operating guidelines and regulations.
- Communicates technology related activities in a timely manner to all stakeholders.
- Directs the installation of technology systems and tools (e.g. hardware, software, systems, wiring, specialized applications and tools) for the purpose of ensuring the safe, timely and efficient installation of technology equipment and services.
- Maintains technology equipment and systems (e.g. servers, telephone systems, intercoms, alarms, surveillance cameras, software applications, network) for the purpose of ensuring that systems are functioning properly and effectively in support of LAB administrative and educational operations.
- Manages procurement, inventory and surplus of technology equipment, systems and related services for the purpose of ensuring that all technology purchases for goods and/or services are consistent with the LAB’s technology objectives, and that equipment is properly inventoried or surplused consistent with local, LAB and state regulations.
- Monitors technology budget and expenditures for the purpose of ensuring that allocations are accurate and expenses are within budget limits and that fiscal practices and Board of Education policies are followed.
- Oversees functioning of the technology operations of LAB for the purpose of ensuring an effective, efficient and safe environment, where technology equipment and applications are utilized appropriately and efficiently to support routine administrative and educational functions of the LAB.
- Prepares a wide variety of documents, reports and materials (e.g. reports, policy and procedure documents, emails, memos, correspondence, budget, specifications, plans and drawings, analysis and test results, and cost estimates) for the purpose of providing necessary information to support LAB operations, including reporting internally and externally to the state or federal agencies, and other entities as required by LAB, state and/or federal regulations.
- Researches outside funding opportunities and grants for the purpose of providing additional funding to enhance technology within the LAB.
- Supervises assigned technology staff (e.g. hiring recommendations, interviewing, training, evaluations, etc.) for the purpose of maximizing the efficiency of the work force and meeting operational requirements.
- Supports the implementation of operational and educational technology initiatives (e.g. new systems, educational programs, hardware) for the purpose of assisting with delivery and implementation of initiatives, providing support and assistance to others, providing oversight of projects and/or training and providing information to others to ensure successful implementation.
- Tests technology applications, tools and programs for the purpose of assessing proposed products, programs or tools to provide feedback for the administrative decision processes, to ensure appropriate acquisition of educational and operational technology solutions and to assist others with these functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in a field appropriate for this position (Management Information Systems, Information Technology, Computer Science, Systems Management, Educational Technology or other equivalent disciplines), preferred.
- Minimum 5 years progressively responsible experience in the development, installation and maintenance of information systems.
- Strong understanding and experience setting up, configuring, and managing network components. Not limited to managed switches, manage of multiple vlans on the network, manage an enterprise wireless network with multiple AP’s, manage network operating systems.
- Strong understanding and experience working with Google Active Directory, group policies, security groups, and network logon scripting.
- Setup and operational knowledge of Windows, Google, and Mac OS X experience/knowledge advantageous.
- Excellent troubleshooting skills ability to narrow down the cause of an issue and determine a solution. ● Demonstrated ability to communicate with and work well with all levels within an organization specifically working effectively within the culture and processes used in educational organizations. ● Highly organized with strong project management skills, and drive to meet organizational and departmental objectives; ability to manage projects on interrelated time lines.
- Knowledge of classroom technology including Apple TV, clickers, document cameras, sound systems, projectors, cameras, etc. a strong plus.
- Knowledge of student data systems (i.e. Illuminate, Deans List), a strong plus.
- Basic understanding of HTML and website development and maintenance required within a Google for Education Domain. ● Proven ability to negotiate and work with vendors and consultants.
- Proven ability to work effectively with parent, community and staff on various organization wide, and Technology Advisory Committees.
- Experience supervising staff.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Occasional prolonged and irregular hours; frequent standing, stooping, bending, kneeling, pushing and pulling; occasional lifting up to 50 pounds; prolonged use of computer and repetitive hand motions; work on call and after hours. Salary commensurate with qualifications and experience and includes benefits.