ABOUT BROOKLYN LAB
Brooklyn Laboratory Charter Schools (LAB) is a network of open enrollment, college-prep, public charter schools that opened its first middle school in downtown Brooklyn in 2014. LAB opened its second middle school in the fall of 2016 and its first two high schools in the fall of 2017, both in downtown Brooklyn. LAB is dedicated to serving the highest need students regardless of their academic level, English language proficiency, or disability. To achieve this, we couple a high expectations approach with an innovative, Common Core-aligned, next generation learning model designed to drastically improve the academic success of our scholars. Our focus on the whole scholar and in building our school community has established Brooklyn Lab as one of the best middle schools in the country for academic growth – adding two and three years of academic growth on average for our scholars. We invite you to be part of a transformation in education and to inspire a diverse a group of scholars with a lifelong love of learning.
The Security Guard promotes attitudes of student responsibility and assists the professional staff with the safety of students and staff and the security of the facilities. The security will work part time from 3:00 to 6:00pm on Mondays, Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Fridays.
- Patrol and monitor hallways, stairwells, toilet facilities, outside facilities, and other public and unsupervised places of the school to ensure the safety and well-being of students and staff and the security of the facility;
- Ensure a smooth traffic flow of students through the hallways, assisting students with on-time arrival to class and to assigned locations;
- Assist with supervision in the breakfast and lunch periods and with morning arrival and afternoon dismissal of students;
- Remove disruptive students from classes when needed;
- Assist the professional staff, police, and emergency personnel in handling emergencies or disruptive situations;
- Assist visitors with directions and secure proper identification;
- Challenge unauthorized visitors and escort them to exits;
- Report any discipline infractions, unauthorized visitors, and acts of vandalism to members of the school leadership team;
- Notify the building administration, police, and/or appropriate emergency personnel of any emergency, potentially dangerous, or unusual situations, following established school policies;
- Notify immediately appropriate personnel of evidence of substance abuse, child abuse, child neglect, severe medical or social conditions, potential suicide or individuals appearing to be under the influence of alcohol, controlled substances, or anabolic steroids;
- Participate in appropriate in-service and workshop programs;
- Promote student responsibility for behavior and attitude by serving as a role model and dressing and grooming professionally;
- Display ethical and professional behavior in working with students, parents, school personnel, and outside agencies associated with the school;
- Protect confidentiality of records and information about staff, and use discretion when sharing any such information within legal confines;
- Adhere to federal statutes and regulations, New York school law, construction codes, State Board of Education rules and regulations, Board of Education policies and procedures, and contractual obligations; and
- Perform any duties and responsibilities that are within the scope of employment, as assigned by their supervisor, and not otherwise prohibited by law or regulation.