InnovateEDU is an educational nonprofit that brings together students, teachers, and technology companies to re-imagine education through digital literacy and leadership. InnovateEDU works with Brooklyn Laboratory Charter School in downtown Brooklyn to provide next generation educational services and establish an accelerator program for K-12 learning technology at the school, with the mission of closing the achievement gap. We offer the students of Brooklyn LAB an extended learning day through our middle school after school program, providing engaging workshops that prepare students with the academic foundation, digital literacy, and leadership skills necessary to succeed in college and professional life.
To begin this winter, we are seeking an individual to join our middle school enrichment team as a Computer Science Activity Specialist. This position is responsible for creating and facilitating daily activities to help our middle school participants gain experience working with a variety of digital media, software, and mechanics.
The Activity Specialist will work closely with our Educational Specialist to develop lessons and additional activities focused on programming, facets of design and engineering, video game creation, and/or manipulation of relevant hardware and courseware. The Specialist will receive support from our Program Director in developing strong school partnerships with professionals in the Tech Triangle of Downtown Brooklyn, and in bringing these connections into their after school curriculum. A successful candidate will bring previous teaching experience and a varied technological knowledge to this position, and will have the opportunity to get creative in constructing daily workshops.
This is a part-time position working 2-4 weekdays from 3:15-5:45 pm, with additional training hours and occasional Saturdays as needed.
- Plan and facilitate workshops for middle school students focused on developing digital literacy and technology skills, including but not limited to: engineering, coding, video game design, infrastructural and digital design, video game creation, textile and manufacturing, and IT;
- Manage classrooms effectively and create a positive learning environment;
- Collaborate with Education Specialist to ensure that all lesson plans are age-appropriate, engaging, and aligned with Common Core education standards;
- Identify innovative ways for students to engage in digital learning beyond the program, including supporting student innovation and pursuit of independent projects;
- Assist in organizing program-wide events, including student presentations, competitions, and activities with technology and community partners;
- Consistently document lesson plans and records of student performance, and effectively communicate these with Program Director;
- Communicate with other staff about student needs across programming;
- Attend staff meetings and professional trainings.
- High school diploma or equivalent required;
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Education, or other related field perferred
- 1-2 years of project management or classroom management experience;
- Strong computer skills, including proficiency in relevant software and courseware, such as Java, C++, html5, Scratch, Webmaker, CSS, Adobe a plus
- Knowledge of STEM/STEAM curriculum;
- Experience facilitating trainings or presentations to colleagues a plus;
- Demonstrated classroom and staff management skills;
- Flexibility and creativity in developing engaging classroom activities;
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, and the ability to work both collaboratively and independently
- Must be able to successfully pass fingerprinting and SCR clearances ($150 expense, reimburse-able after hire).