We’re excited to be looking for a Controller to join our rapidly-growing team in Dumbo, Brooklyn. Reporting to our VP of Finance, you’ll oversee our accounting function and be responsible for bringing in best practices to support the rapid growth of the business.
You’re the perfect person for this role if you have a strong bias for action, an entrepreneurial spirit, and lead with integrity. If this sounds like you, we’d love to hear from you!
As a note, our team is currently remote and tentatively expected to return to the office in November with a hybrid 3 day in/2 day remote schedule.
What you’ll do
- Own the monthly close process
- Lead the audit process to ensure a timely and smooth annual accounting audit
- Own the provision of tax filings and regulatory reporting for compliance
- Oversee Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, bank reconciliations
- Own our accounting system (Netsuite) to ensure transactions are being posted and recorded accurately
- Support our treasury and budgeting functions
- Build infrastructure to support multiple subsidiaries, retail expansion, international expansion, and other significant near-term projects
- Lead and grow our awesome team of 2, and set them up for success by creating best-in-class processes and providing training and development.
We're looking for someone who brings
- 7+ years of accounting experience; CPA and prior public accounting experience is a must
- 4+ years of experience leading and mentoring a team
- Strong understanding of U.S. GAAP and knowledge of SEC regulations and SOX
- Prior audit experience
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel
- Experience building a high-performing team with a culture of learning and development
- Experience with multi-national and multi-entity businesses is a plus
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, high attention to detail, and the ability to roll up your sleeves
Why join us?
- Our team is made up of friendly, funny, welcoming, low-ego, and passionate people -- who also happen to be great at what they do. We all know the people you work with can make or break a job and so we go to great lengths to protect this amazing culture.
- We work hard, but are well-rounded (and well-rested). Breaks to pet dogs and hang with coworkers are encouraged. So is taking vacation (we’ve got a $1k vacation bonus), getting out of here at a reasonable hour, Summer Fridays, and obviously getting a great night sleep (our day starts at 10am).
- Care about growth? So do we. We’re growing rapidly, so we’ve got tons of exciting growth opportunities for our amazingly talented team. Not the type of place where you wait for your boss to quit before you can get promoted. New projects and business needs pop up every single day, and we always look internally first.
- All the other stuff you’d expect - great benefits (with fully company-paid options), a 401k plan, 100% paid parental leave for ALL new parents, budget for learning and development, fun team outings, and much more.
Everyone is welcome at Brooklinen - we’re passionate about building a team that reflects the diversity of our community and creating an environment where our differences are celebrated. We invite you to take a look at how we’ve done so far and where we know we need to do better.
At Brooklinen it’s our mission to bring comfort to all by delivering simple, beautiful, and high-quality home essentials at a fair price. We design our own luxury basics and bring them to you at brooklinen.com.
Since launching 2014, Brooklinen has obtained over 80,000+ 5-star reviews and been featured in Forbes, Vogue, Fortune, New York Magazine, GQ and more.