The Digital team at Brookfield Residential is looking for a Principal UX Designer to join in transforming our digital experiences. Reporting into the Digital Technology Director and working internally across all regions in North America, this role is responsible for leading the research and design efforts for customer and user-facing applications. This position will work directly with clients and project teams to develop strategies and design specifications that will improve the performance, usability and effectiveness of customer facing interfaces. The role calls for strong visual design, UI, and layout techniques paired with the experience and ability to conduct user testing and research and then apply data from the research to continuously iterate improvements into the design.
The successful designer brings solid experience in linking business and financial objectives (higher conversion rates, higher retention rates, etc.) with good design aesthetics and an outstanding user experience. The ideal incumbent in this role is an empathic end-user advocate capable of identifying and translating user requirements into design solutions for hardware/software systems through the use of a structured, customer centric, and evidence-based design process and methodology. This individual should have experience conducting usability research (both online and in the field) and documenting common use cases as a means of establishing systems requirements. In addition, this designer should have a thorough understanding of current UX/UI trends and contemporary user-centered design methodologies, from initial generative research to evaluative testing of developmental interfaces.
As a primary liaison between Marketing and Systems Engineering this role is expected to be central to guiding the creation of hardware/software systems from requirements development through implementation and testing.
Your Key Deliverables
Research, Discovery, and Analysis (30%)
- Implement a variety of qualitative and quantitative research methodologies to better understand user behaviors and needs.
- Perform cognitive task analysis, use-in-context research, heuristic reviews, conduct user studies and work closely with domain experts, product management and development teams.
- Design and refine UX research methods and workflow.
- Conduct usability research both online and in the field.
- Initiate usability studies and surveys, set objectives, run test sessions, interpret results and review findings with team members.
- Identifies, plans and leads improvements to existing digital products and services.
- Present research findings to the broader team.
- Actively respond to and translate market and usability testing results into designs.
- Lead in developing design methods/processes and executing in a manner which supports all quality standards and support and follows established corporate UI standards and guidelines.
- Ensures customer-facing designs and applications meet company business goals, brand standards, accessibility guidelines and legal requirements. Be an interaction design representative for product development on program teams by working with Software Engineering, Product Management, Marketing, Service, and Applications in resolving user requirement, design, and implementation issues to satisfy business needs.
- Create reusable patterns and assets that will enable products to provide harmonious experiences for customers and partners
- Responsible for contributing to a program plan of schedules, specifications and resources for design aspects of a product
- Define and communicate interface concepts and requirements by creating artifacts that support research, best practices, test results, and focus on consistency and ease of use for our customers, such as: mockups, prototypes, user flows, and detailed design specification documents
- Design innovative and effective interfaces for existing and new user interactions.
- Focus on defining and building next generation User experiences for employees and its customers. Provide creative direction and design for projects ranging from new products to enhancing existing solutions.
- Develop and execute UX plans as an integral part of design and development processes, driving the design of scenarios from initial conception through final implementation.
- Responsible for user interface design and workflow including: reviewing prioritized product and customer requirements, defining personas, documenting use cases, converting requirements into user interface designs, detailed wireframes and prototypes, and working closely with marketing and digital technology leadership, architects and engineers to ensure designs and workflows are correctly built, tested and deployed into the product.
- Create attractive, compelling designs while maintaining visual consistency and brand identity
Collaboration and Strategy (20%)
- Skilled at developing strategy, defining UX foundations, communicating ideas, and guiding UX design and research and capabilities that will be used across all of solution portfolio
- Collaborate with project managers, designers, and a cross-functional client teams including representatives from marketing, product management, engineering, quality assurance, and customer support. Collaborate across product silos.
- Work collaboratively with many stakeholders and constituents:
- Interface with leadership to understand and support the overall performance, customer satisfaction and customer value model with digital solutions.
- With CX and marketing analytics to collaborate on CX and marketing insights while leading UX research to design and execute user research studies and usability testing to guide interface design
- With other UX Designers and collaboratively with multiple internal partners to understand business and customer needs
- With DEVOPS teams to translate those needs into brilliantly constructed and efficient software
- With Web Developers to produce functioning proof-of-concepts and/or production quality interfaces.
With product management and engineering management to ensure efficient testing and release of UI designs into the product
- With business analysts and developers, coaching them in designing great user experiences
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent 8-10 years of overall experience or a combination of education and experience in Visual Design, UX Design, HCI, Interaction Design, Product Design or related discipline.
- 6+ years of experience with Human Factors Design and Analysis, UX/XI interface design, and usability with experience in designing usable web-based, mobile and application interfaces, across B2C, B2B, and B2E interfaces.
- 2+ years of experience in UX research such as conducting usability studies, moderating sessions and communicating insights
- Demonstrated success in creating product designs, including experience working directly with engineering and QA teams on complex informational products or services.
- 2+ years of experience in mobile design.
- Solid understanding of user-centered design principles with the ability to propose design, solutions/wireframes based on best practices and ability to turn high level business requirements into interactive experiences with attention to detail and craftsmanship. Ability to understand business objectives and functional specifications and be able to apply those to user interface design.
- Strong conceptualization, communication, and ability to create wireframes to communicate interface designs to teams.
- Experience in several of the following design software: Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Flash, Dreamweaver), Sketch, InVision, Anima Toolkit, MS Visio, Omnigraffle, Axure RP, Balsamiq Mockups
- Adept at presenting and communicating evidence-based and research-based concepts to a variety of stakeholders.
Nice to Haves
- UX Certification is a plus (such as a basic or masterly level certification from Nielsen Norman Group).
- Familiarity with Scrum and Agile methodologies desired.
- Experience designing for consumer facing websites, mobile, and other digital technologies is preferred.
- Experience with designing new, next-generation UI interfaces is desired.
- Work experience in a creative or UX department of an agency, design shop, or digital firm is desirable.
We are proud to offer our employees what they value most:
• Competitive compensation
• Excellent extended health benefits
• 401k matching
• Generous tuition assistance program
• Leadership development and mentorship programs
• Charitable donation matching
• A culture based on our values of Passion, Integrity and Community
Your New Home
At Brookfield Properties, the foundation of our success is firmly rooted in our people.
Our company is comprised of experts across a range of specialties who share a goal of ensuring our properties are continuously evolving to meet the needs of our communities and stakeholders. To meet this goal, we hire visionary, entrepreneurial talent who help us innovate and enhance our business. We build collaborative teams who value integrity, creativity and diversity.
Our teams operate an iconic portfolio of irreplaceable properties within the world’s most dynamic markets. As one of the largest real estate services companies, we provide management and development expertise exclusively for properties owned by Brookfield Asset Management.
Our development group draws on its unparalleled design, entitlement and construction expertise to envision and deliver best-in-class, iconic assets and destinations. The team’s multidisciplinary skill sets from across our sectors capitalize on the unique opportunities that exist in the market today.