As a member of the corporate tax team, you will be responsible for assisting in the tax compliance, planning and reporting requirements for the Company. Reporting to our Tax Manager, Michelle Fafard, you will play an integral role in identifying and implementing best practices, and optimizing the corporation’s tax structure. As a member of the Company’s tax team, you will interact with senior leadership to assist in the implementation of tax opportunities and satisfactorily resolve prior years’ tax examination.
Your Key Responsibilities
- Prepare Canadian and U.S. tax provisions and tax disclosures for external financial statement purposes
- Coordinate with Corporate finance team and business units to obtain tax reporting and tax compliance information and to provide tax guidance to business units as necessary
- Prepare quarterly and year-end working papers and supporting documentation and coordinate same with external auditors
- Prepare and file corporate and partnership income tax returns, elections and remittances in a timely and accurate manner for all applicable jurisdictions across Canada and the US
- Interface with tax authorities, including coordination of tax audits, preparation of responses and negotiation of tax issues
- Ensure compliance with the organization’s internal controls in relation to tax and relevant accounting and tax policies
- Responsible for tax research and preparation of technical memos in support of tax technical positions taken in the financial statements and statutory filings
- Keep abreast of the latest tax developments and issues that impact the organization such as changes in legislation, court decisions, rulings, etc.
- Assist in ad hoc projects as required
- CPA designation
- Minimum of 5 years tax experience specializing in corporate income tax in a public accounting firm or publicly traded company
- In the process of completing or completion of CICA In-Depth Tax Course preferred
- In-depth background in corporate/partnership tax compliance and tax accounting process and knowledge of financial reporting requirements
- Knowledge of accounting standards relating to accounting for income taxes under US GAAP and IFRS
- Experience in dealing with tax authorities and financial statement auditors
- Must be able to multi-task and have the ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing in a clear and straight forward manner
- Ability to interact effectively with senior management as well as external parties
- Great team player with the ability to anticipate and proactively resolve issues
- Strong working knowledge of computerized accounting systems and Microsoft Office applications, particularly Excel and Tax Prep
Nice to Haves
- Experience with US tax return preparation
We are proud to offer our employees what they value most:
• Competitive compensation
• Excellent extended health benefits
• RRSP matching
• Generous tuition assistance program
• Leadership development programs
• Charitable donation matching
• A culture based on our values of Passion, Integrity and Community
Your New Home
At Brookfield Properties, the foundation of our success is firmly rooted in our people.
Our company is comprised of experts across a range of specialties who share a goal of ensuring our properties are continuously evolving to meet the needs of our communities and stakeholders. To meet this goal, we hire visionary, entrepreneurial talent who help us innovate and enhance our business. We build collaborative teams who value integrity, creativity and diversity.
Our teams operate an iconic portfolio of irreplaceable properties within the world’s most dynamic markets. As one of the largest real estate services companies, we provide management and development expertise exclusively for properties owned by Brookfield Asset Management.
Our development group draws on its unparalleled design, entitlement and construction expertise to envision and deliver best-in-class, iconic assets and destinations. The team’s multidisciplinary skill sets from across our sectors capitalize on the unique opportunities that exist in the market today.