Reporting to Carmen Smilianov, Estimating Manager, Single Family Homes, and working in a fast paced agile environment, you will liaise between the estimating team, trades, suppliers, designers, accounting, marketing, site and sales staff to ensure the accuracy of information for starter to estate product streams. You will build and nurture these relationships through your collaboration and communication. Key success indicators through this contractual term include issuing purchase orders to the trades, pricing custom items for sales staff and interior designers, and processing change orders in a timely and accurate fashion.
Your Key Deliverables
Within the next 12 months
- Contribute to the launch of Brookfield Residential's new community, Rockland Park through the Sales and Construction starts (models & options);
- Support the systems conversion from BMT to Newstar;
- Build internal relationships with Site, Sales, Design, and Estimating, and Application Support teams;
- Issue budgets and purchase orders in an accurate, timely manner to meet production;
- Prepare cost to completes at the close of the job to ensure accurate accruals;
- Calculate and maintain material take-offs (lumber, finishing materials, steel, concrete, etc.) from working drawings and check take-offs made by suppliers;
- Stay current with changes in the industry;
- Assist with review of job budgets and purchase orders;
Managing Internal Customers:
- Maintain accurate up to date job files consisting of budgets, purchase orders, change orders and customer requests;
- Ensure change orders and pricing requests are processed with priority and in a timely manner;
- Ensure all change orders are communicated to the field team members, office team members and trades;
- Resolve site problems arising from products in terms of quantity, delivery or specifications;
Costing & Purchasing:
- Maintain current, competitive cost and product information under changing market conditions;
- Maintain accurate and comprehensive price books for standard options;
- Prepare margin cost analysis for approval by the Sales Manager;
- Assist in the tendering of new phases and new plans. Prepare tender documents for approval by the Estimating Manager for trade contractors to be invited for bids;
- Assess bids with respect to prices;
- Assist Estimating Manager with review and award contracts to successful bidders;
Managing External Relationships:
- Develop and maintain relationships with specific vendors assigned to each project and review new projects and vendors to identify opportunities for improved quality and cost effectiveness;
- Promote a professional business relationship with trades and suppliers;
- Maintain and foster open and knowledgeable communication with vendors; and,
- Assist in preparing quarterly anchor budget reviews, standard option pricing and cost analysis for all plans, including forecast figures of cost fluctuations for approval by the Estimating Manager.
- 3-5 years direct Estimating experience across multiple product types (Single Family starter to estate);
- 3-5 years of residential construction experience, with strong construction process knowledge; and,
- Sound understanding and technical foundation of various building types, traditional subcontractor work scopes, construction systems and methods, construction specifications, building codes and requirements, construction tendering practices, and contract types;
Nice to Haves
- Blueprint Reading, Estimating, Construction Fundamentals and Communication and Negotiation Technology diploma would be an asset;
- Proficiency in Accounting and Estimating Software, such as, BMT and Newstar; and,
- Architectural Technology designation.
Working in a fast paced, performance driven organization, you have the opportunity to make an impact on a key community launch, Rockland Park, which is the first NW community launch in years. You are part of a collaborative and growth minded team where your input is valued and appreciated. Through your proven ability and performance, there will be opportunities to work with the business on all product streams. You have the flexibility to travel to site and you are empowered in a purposeful way to support the Homes team in achieving our key deliverables.
We are proud to offer our employees what they value most:
• Competitive compensation
• Work-life balance
• A culture based on our values of Passion, Integrity and Community
Your New Home
Brookfield Residential is a leading North American land developer and homebuilder with one goal in mind - to create the best places to call home. From the development of award winning master-planned communities, to the design and construction of premier homes and commercial properties, we are committed to cultivating exceptional life experience for our customers and for our employees.
Building great communities and homes takes vision and dedication, but most importantly, it takes a strong team. Having been in business for more than 60 years, we know it is our people who make Brookfield Residential what it is today. We were humbled to be named by Aon as one of the Best Employers in Canada and U.S. in 2017.