Who Are We?
Brooke Charter Schools is a network of four public charter schools, serving grades K-12 in Mattapan, Roslindale, and East Boston. At Brooke, we coach and invest in our teachers so that they can help our students achieve at the highest levels and graduate from college. We believe academic achievement empowers our students to live choice-filled lives and enhances their ability to contribute to creating a just world. In a culture of achievement, educators support students in recognizing and building on their identities as sources of strength even as they work to grow and achieve in new ways.
At Brooke, computer science is a central feature of the curriculum. In grades 1-8, students study coding and robotics for 60 to 90 minutes per week, using a range of introductory languages and platforms, including Code.org, Pencil Code, Scratch, LEGO Mindstorms, and App Inventor. The high school computer science program builds on this foundation, with three years of required computer science for every student, including an AP course.
What is the High School Computer Science Teacher Role?
As a Computer Science teacher at Brooke High School, you will join a growing team of three teachers who are working to make CS education available to every student.
You are the leader of your classroom and build strong relationships with students in order to push them to be their best selves both academically and personally. You crave feedback, think deeply about instruction, and collaborate with colleagues in order to meet the needs of every student. To that end, you will take part in regular data meetings, engage in approximately 20 administrative observations, and participate in nearly 300 hours of professional development over the course of the school year.
Hours for this role are 7:45 am - 4:00 pm. You will teach multiple sections of computer science daily and also serve as an advisor; advisors mentor students, communicate with families, and share information about colleges and character education. You may choose to lead an after-school club or coach a sport for an additional stipend.
Salaries are competitive with local districts, commensurate with experience. Computer Science teachers joining our team with 2 years of previous lead teaching experience earn starting salaries of approximately $80k.
Is This You?
- You’ve earned a Bachelor’s degree (in any field) and have content knowledge in programming or computer science. (It's a major plus if you have experience with FIRST Robotics and/or the use of makerspace equipment)
- You are committed to uprooting racism through academics, equipping our students with tools to advocate for a diverse, equitable, and inclusive future. Read more about how we are working on this at Brooke here
- After at least 2 years as a lead teacher, you know the importance of building a joyful classroom culture where students are held to high behavioral and academic expectations. See what this looks like in action at Brooke here
- You are professional, warm, and collaborative with students, families, and colleagues
- You are able to start in July of 2023
The community and students we serve are diverse, and we are committed to reflecting that diversity in our staff. We strive to have the most diverse applicant pool possible; to that end, we encourage individuals of all backgrounds to apply for any position at Brooke Charter Schools. By fostering a diverse and inclusive environment, we provide the best educational experience to prepare our students for a future reflective of the world in which we live.