Brightflow AI is making cash management and forecasting accessible to the everyday ecommerce business owner. Founded in Fall 2019, with the goal of democratizing finance, our rapidly growing and well-funded startup is in need of exceptional engineers to join us as we climb to the next level.
About the Role
This role reports to the Founder CTO and is an integral part of the learn-build-measure loop of our startup product learning.
You’ll understand our customer needs while bringing the needed technical knowledge to inform the product roadmap. Expect to:
- Manage remote software engineers
With a growth-mindset: imaging the team complexly and help them grow into that future through coaching.
With a goal of making them succeed, grow, and thrive long-term; from Junior through Intermediate and Staff-level engineers.
Ensure that code review is used as an opportunity for growth and teaching.
- Help each software engineer drive their professional development plan.
- Coach engineers across all aspects of Brightflow AI’s values, towards their personal growth goals (lead and support in their personal development), and in general software engineering practices as are applicable to our domain.
- With CTO, build scorecards (and minimal tech ladders appropriate for our stage).
- Foster technical decision-making on the team, but own final clarity of choice and outcomes. Keep diversity in mind and including a variety of voices.
- Work with our solutions team on business-critical client projects, co-owning the outcome.
Ensuring we manage technical debt, delivery of solutions, integrate with our long-term architectural goals, and are responsible (people) manage the software engineers working on client projects. Throughout, displaying the Brightflow AI’s values of communication and empathy.
- Drive learning across the engineering organization and conduct retros (for all aspects: hiring, incident, post-release): no-blame and with a goal of improving with a pragmatic real-world focus on learning and improving.
- Ensure high-quality results for users.
Hold a customer-first focus on delivering value and using empathy to deeply understand the problems of our customers.
- Drive a timely deployment schedule of features and bugfixes.
- With Product team, help author epics and stories.
- Pro-actively seeks to improve the application for customers: currently: ensure bugs are triaged appropriately and issues are prioritized appropriately.
- Goal: we fix issues that we see before they become issues for our customers.
- Work with Customer Success team to keep them abreast of updates, rollouts, and timeline changes (so they can speak to customers confidently).
- With CTO: define, measure, and report on engineering org goals that drive the overall company goals.
KPIs around: PR Rate, feature stories, and bug time-to-close.
- Hire and retain talent that increases the diversity of the engineering team.
Timeboxing hiring time to balance other priorities and seeking to improve the hiring process.
Why you’ll love working here
First off, a great team: trust and psychological safety are high - you can expect to be challenged and given a place to do great work. Our culture fosters transparent, appreciative feedback, respect, and empathy.
The team is experienced and knowledgeable, strong finance experience (including Capital One, VC firms) and engineering backgrounds at multiple early-stage startups, and previous experience as founder and CEO of a YC startup.
What We’re Looking For
- Strong team player, effective collaborator.
- 2 years or more experience in a leadership role with current technical experience.
- Humble, servant leader.
- Excellent verbal/written communication and interpersonal skills.
- Experience with TypeScript or other typed programming languages.
- Our values resonate with you. https://bit.ly/brightflow-values
- Proficiency in SQL, relational databases, and data modeling.
- In-depth experience with browser and server technologies and concepts (CSS, HTML, DOM, browser rendering)
- Strong experience integrating with third-party APIs.
- Desire to constantly learn and grow both personally and professionally.
An especially strong candidate may also have one or more of the following:
- Familiarity with finance, accounting, or statistics discipline.
- Familiarity with Excel or other spreadsheet programs. (We prototype some things in Excel)
- High level of interest or experience with financial analytics.
- Experience working in startups.
- Experience with AI / ML (especially ML techniques suited to forecasting and categorization).
- Experience building SaaS products.
- 4+ years experience as a software engineering manager.
- DevOps experience.
- We use TypeScript for just about everything and automate our testing with Jest.
- Frontend: React/Redux, styled-components.
- Backend: Node.js, Koa, PostgreSQL, Redis.
- Platform: Heroku, AWS, Ansible, Terraform.
- Tools and Processes: Git(Hub), Agile/SCRUM.
- Medical, dental, and vision insurance.
- Equity stake in the company.
- Flexible working hours and vacation policy.
- Remote team events (happy hours and video gaming sessions to name a couple of our favorites) and retreats at socially responsible distances (in the Bay Area, California, USA).
About Our Team
We’ve learned from firsthand experience that the most effective teams are composed of highly diverse individuals from all walks of life. It’s in those pivotal moments when a situation is dire that we’ve been consistently surprised by the ingenuity and unexpected skills our teammates bring to the table. At Brightflow AI, we all play a key role and encourage crossover into all areas of the business that interest you. This is a set of values that lies at our very core as individuals and if you share the same desire for a warm, welcoming environment surrounded by awesome, talented people we encourage you to apply! We’re constantly learning and doing what we can to support and assist each other in growing both personally and professionally.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin/ethnicity, citizenship status, veteran status, disability status, marital status, medical condition, or any other legally protected status.
About Brightflow AI
Managing a company’s finances is hard. A company can grow their revenues; doubling from last years’ record-breaking $5 million in sales. Things may be going great, but there is a problem: the company’s cash may be running out.
That’s where we come in. We help people with simple solutions that give them the financial data and enable actions. We work with companies who have a great product but don’t have a whole finance team. They’re growing and want to stay focused on delighting their customers.
Brightflow AI solutions provide financial insights that translate quickly into understanding. Join us to build the tools that make it happen.
We’ve experienced the pain of getting good financial data easily – it’s this need that drove the creation of Brightflow. We’ve raised money to build the product and already have our first customers that provide us with valuable insights.
We have backgrounds that include several previous VC-backed startups (as founders, managers, and first engineers), private-equity and venture finance, banking, and running our own software companies. Our team members have lived and work in a mix of countries, spoken numerous languages, and experienced many cultures.
We’re growth-minded learners, inspired to understand our customers and pragmatically deliver solutions that solve real problems. We provide a high degree of ownership and autonomy in a highly inclusive culture that fosters transparent, appreciative feedback, respect, and empathy.
Read more about our values and the culture of the company we’re building at https://bit.ly/brightflow-values
Our website: https://brightflow.ai/