Brightcove is revolutionizing the way organizations deliver video experiences. Our global services team, BGS, builds highly scalable and complex solutions on our platform for some of the best known media companies in the world and we're expanding. If you have great technical skill, a passion for online video, a keen sense of creativity and a willingness to work with our clients to build awesome experiences, we'd love to talk.
Have you led technical teams, mentored and learned from them? Impressed clients with your ability to simplify and solve complex technical problems? Built systems that scale to millions of users? If so, and if you’re looking for a chance to grow and work with some of the most well-known media brands in the world, we’d love to talk.
We're currently looking for a Technical Lead to join our Boston-based Delivery team. The perfect candidate for this role will have strong hands-on coding skills; have organized and led distributed teams while building best practices (unit testing, code reviews, security and performance audits); and, most importantly, will have delighted clients with their teams’ work.
This role is an important pre-sales function, working with a Client Partner to help size and scope opportunities with our customers who need services assistance. In this capacity you will need to be comfortable with capturing requirements, stating assumptions and coming up with development estimates.
- Consulting. Technical Leads are part of the senior team that manage the client and are called upon to facilitate user requirements sessions, design technical specifications, and manage development of documentation to meet client expectations. In conjunction with a Project Manager, Technical Leads are expected to provide both technical and solution expertise for clients and client engagements.
- Solution Development. Technical Leads design solutions for various client needs. TLs support the analysis of client processes and recommend new business models, workflows, or solutions to best meet client needs.
- Technical Leadership. Technical Leads manage all technical aspects of the project and also contribute directly by writing code, managing builds and performing other hands-on tasks. TLs have the ability to exercise independent judgment in methods, techniques, and evaluation criteria for obtaining results.
- Team Management. Technical Leads may manage small teams to successfully deliver agreed-upon solutions of the highest quality, exceeding customer expectations. They mentor and guide less experienced consultants. They are expected to be role models for best practices and to provide technical knowledge sharing.
- 7+ years experience as a technical developer or related work experience; 2+ years in technical leadership roles; experience in a project-based consulting environment
- Expertise architecting and designing software solutions for various problem types
- Extensive knowledge in the areas of custom software development: OO Design Patterns; microservices, middleware, etc.
- Strong proficiency with at least one server-side language (Node.js and/or Python preferred)
- Strong Object Oriented Programming skills
- Understanding data security compliance and security best practices
- Experience in profiling, debugging and troubleshooting systems
- Solid understanding of databases and data modeling/design techniques; data interface protocols; database deployment and scalability; database tuning
- Extensive experience with designing systems for scale and reuse, source code management strategies, and release management
- Strong and effective verbal and written communications skills; as well as strong and effective presentation and facilitation skills
- Willingness to travel to client locations and collaborate with distributed delivery teams as needed
- Solid knowledge of system administration and software and hardware configuration and production system deployments; ability to make informed recommendations to customer IT staff
- Ability to troubleshoot pre- and post-production implementations including security and load balancing & performance issues
- Cloud DevOps experience strongly preferred
- Understanding differences between multiple delivery platforms, such as mobile vs. desktop, and optimizing output to match the specific platform
- Experience with video technologies preferred but not required.
Working at Brightcove
As the undisputed global leader in powering premium video for our customers, Brightcove recruits and retains highly qualified and motivated individuals, creating an environment where people can innovate and achieve their best, and we reward them for their performance by giving them the opportunity to share in the company’s success. We offer competitive compensation, stock options, 401k matching, and tuition reimbursement, as well as unlimited PTO - and we expect you to use it!
This role is located in our Boston office which is located downtown, right on Fort Point harbor. The office has an open yet focused working space layout with beautiful water views. Employees enjoy access to fully-stocked kitchens and social activities including: happy hours, trivia and movie nights, ping pong tournaments, and philanthropy events. We celebrate a variety of personal interests with organized groups and clubs including Women of Brightcove, Women in Engineering, Philanthropy Committee, Brightcove Bake Club, and many more!
If you've gotten all the way to the bottom of this description, thank you for your interest in Brightcove! If this role sounds like something that is exciting to you please don't hesitate to apply, even if you don't meet all of our qualifications. We recognize that no candidate is perfect and Brightcove would love to have the chance to get to know you.
Send us your resume if you are interested and want to learn more!