Brightcove is revolutionizing the way organizations deliver video experiences. We have thousands of customers in over 70 countries that rely on Brightcove’s cloud solutions to successfully publish high-quality video experiences to audiences everywhere. Brightcove is also the place for talented, creative and passionate people who are excited about new technologies and being on the cutting edge of Internet TV and web development. We have a culture which values empowerment, individual and team excellence, honesty, and customer focus. If you are smart and have a high drive to get things done then we want to work with you
The Data Group at Brightcove designs, develops and operates big data services and tools to provide reporting and analytics for our customers. We do this on a massive scale, capturing billions of events a day from our video players across the globe.
We are looking for an engineering manager to support a few teams of backend software engineers who are building customer-facing video products. Our ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about building effective engineering teams that deliver high quality, innovative, scalable products for online services that iterate rapidly.
Our teams follow agile processes and are responsible for deploying to production whenever they’re ready to deliver value to our customers - often on a daily basis. We embrace a variety of current technologies and tools for developing, testing, deploying and monitoring our cloud-based offerings. We believe in empowered and self-organizing teams that can take a product from concept to delivery.
- Manage 2+ teams of 3-6 software engineers per team.
- Foster an effective, accountable and self-organizing team culture.
- Hire and mentor world-class engineers - develop good engineers into great engineers.
- Lead and deliver key engineering initiatives.
- Coach teams by fostering best practices, such as design thinking, build/test automation, code reviews, metrics/data driven decisions, etc.
- Identify and implement development process and methodology improvements to increase the quality of work products.
- Work with Customer Support and Account Management to respond to customer impacting issues.
- Work with Product Management and Product Marketing to contribute to the strategic direction of the products and roadmaps.
- Be the champion of your teams.
- 2+ years of engineering management experience.
- 5+ years of software development experience in a high-scale SaaS environment.
- Technical architecture and hands-on engineering background.
- Experience with agile methodologies.
- Understanding of building internet scale, distributed, high availability systems.
- Ability to adapt to changing priorities and market conditions.
- Understanding of the full ownership of the software development lifecycle from design, implementation and testing of code to deployment, operations and monitoring of solutions.
- Experience building and operating real-time big data analytics systems a plus.
Working at Brightcove
As the undisputed global leader in powering premium video for our customers, Brightcove recruits and retains highly qualified and motivated individuals, creating an environment where people can innovate and achieve their best, and we reward them for their performance by giving them the opportunity to share in the company’s success. We offer competitive compensation, stock options, 401k matching, and tuition reimbursement, as well as unlimited PTO - and we expect you to use it!
This role is located in our Boston office which is located downtown, right on Fort Point harbor. The office has an open yet focused working space layout with beautiful water views. Employees enjoy access to fully-stocked kitchens and social activities including: happy hours, trivia and movie nights, ping pong tournaments, and philanthropy events. We celebrate a variety of personal interests with organized groups and clubs including Debate Club, Women of Brightcove, Women in Engineering, Philanthropy Committee, Brightcove Bake Club, and many more!
If you've gotten all the way to the bottom of this description, thank you for your interest in Brightcove! If this role sounds like something that is exciting to you please don't hesitate to apply, even if you don't meet all of our qualifications. We recognize that no candidate is perfect and Brightcove would love to have the chance to get to know you.
Send us your resume if you are interested and want to learn more!