Brightcove is revolutionizing the way organizations deliver video experiences. We are the industry leader in this space, enabling our customers to deliver professional quality video to audiences on every screen. Our customers range from some of the largest media publishers to corporate marketing departments to large non-profit organizations, spanning the globe. With over 500 employees around the world, we have worked hard to create a company where talented, passionate people can thrive in a culture that values individual empowerment, excellence, and collaboration.
Brightcove is looking for a talented software engineer for our live streaming platform. Our live streaming platform is based on the latest cloud technologies, the platform enables Brightcove customers to quickly create reliable live streams from any place in the world and monetize them.
Fluency up and down the stack and good operational knowledge of scalable platforms in the cloud will serve you well in this role. We are looking for smart, creative, collaborative and fun people who have a desire to work in a fast paced environment building scalable cloud based services for video processing and streaming.
- Design, optimize, and maintain scalable backend services for live video transcoding, processing, and delivery.
- Provide operational support for the platform.
- Work in an agile environment with a team of engineers to create new products and streamline/enhance existing solutions and workflows.
- Develop clean, high quality code even when working on extremely hard problems.
- Must have:
- 5+ years of software development experience.
- You need to be a polyglot programmer, comfortable in both object oriented and functional programming paradigms.
- All our products run in AWS, so experience using at least one of the following AWS cloud services at scale is required: EC2, S3, Lambda, DynamoDB.
- Comfortable working with both relational and NoSQL data stores.
- Need to be comfortable working with Linux and have a good understanding of OS internals.
- Self motivated, proactive and take ownership of issues.
- Thrive and excel in our diverse agile team environment.
- Nice to have experience:
- Experience in Go, Java and NodeJS will be highly appreciated, C and C++ is a plus.
- Experience with video codecs and container formats, DRM technologies and CDN delivery.
- Contributions to open source projects will be taken into account, preferably video related projects.
Technologies we use
- Open source video transcoding software (ffmpeg, Bento4, x265, etc.)
- Commercial and proprietary video transcoding SDKs and systems
- Go, Ruby, Java, Elixir, C++, Python, Node
- AWS Cloud Infrastructure (EC2, S3, RDS)
- Docker and Kubernetes
Working at Brightcove
As the undisputed global leader in powering premium video for our customers, Brightcove recruits and retains highly qualified and motivated individuals, creating an environment where people can innovate and achieve their best, and we reward them for their performance by giving them the opportunity to share in the company’s success. We offer competitive compensation, stock options, 401k matching, and tuition reimbursement, as well as unlimited PTO - and we expect you to use it!
This role is located in our Boston office which is located downtown, right on Fort Point harbor. The office has an open yet focused working space layout with beautiful water views. Employees enjoy access to fully-stocked kitchens and social activities including: happy hours, trivia and movie nights, ping pong tournaments, and philanthropy events. We celebrate a variety of personal interests with organized groups and clubs including Debate Club, Women of Brightcove, Women in Engineering, Philanthropy Committee, Brightcove Bake Club, and many more!
If you've gotten all the way to the bottom of this description, thank you for your interest in Brightcove! If this role sounds like something that is exciting to you please don't hesitate to apply, even if you don't meet all of our qualifications. We recognize that no candidate is perfect and Brightcove would love to have the chance to get to know you.