In a nutshell we are looking for people who have a:
- Passion and knack for building data models and algorithmic systems that solve complex investment problems
- Deep interest in markets, finance, and investing
- Great analytical mind
- Desire to work with the best people in a highly entrepreneurial and collaborative environment
What does Bridgewater do?
Bridgewater Associates is a global leader in institutional portfolio management and the world’s largest and most successful hedge fund. At Bridgewater Associates, we are focused on having the deepest possible understanding of the global economy and financial markets and translating that understanding into expertly constructed portfolios and meaningful relationships with institutional clients. Our track record of success for more than 40 years is grounded in our distinct culture, which brings together great people and enables them to operate in a culture of radical truth and radical transparency.
Based in Westport, Connecticut, Bridgewater manages more than $160 billion in assets for approximately 300 of the world’s most sophisticated institutional investors, including public and corporate pension funds, university endowments, charitable foundations, supranational agencies, foreign governments, and central banks.
What is Investment Logic Engineering?
As an Investment Logic Engineer, your mission is to understand how the world’s markets and economies work and codify this understanding. You will spend your time designing and building the algorithms which are used to generate Bridgewater's views on markets, translate those views into portfolios, and trade those portfolios. Every piece of investment logic is owned by an Engineer who:
- Is an expert in their investment domain and can hold the whole model of the investment system in their head
- Designs systems that beautifully express and run our investment logic and evolves with our investment understanding
- Runs and develops a team of engineers to build and maintain the investment system
We also shape how Bridgewater does investment research: we deeply understand how exploration is done and evolve the methods and tools to more rapidly develop breakthrough insights.
What is the Investment Logic Engineering Ethos?
We are an Engineering owned and led organization which strives to balance fierce independence with incredible community support in an environment that is intellectually vibrant and driven to make a mark on the world as a collaborative force.
Our core values:
- Honesty, transparency, directness, personal accountability, driven by doing what's right for the organization
- Holding a very high bar for each other, everything we do, and everything we build
- Actively engaging in shaping our environment and how we do things. You create the culture again every day you come into the office - it must be highly dynamic and owned by all of us.
- Autonomy and self-motivation: we are here to enable and develop (not manage) great people who share our way of being and passion for working on important problems that have big impact
What is the opportunity for new full-time hires?
- We are looking for people who can own one of our large investment systems in the next 5-7 years. With that, you will work on a project with real systems impact from day one and take ownership of a sub-system within 18 months
- In your first year, you will take a structured 9-month Investment Engineer class designed to be a guided exploration covering a range of topics. Wrestling with the investment and engineering content of the class will provide the opportunity for deep development of thinking abilities
- You will be mentored by Engineers who deeply understand and are invested in your work, your interests, and who will help you stretch into different areas of professional growth
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.