Bridgewater Associates is focused on understanding how the world works. By having the deepest possible understanding of the global economy and financial markets, and translating that understanding into great portfolios and strategic partnerships with institutional clients, we’ve built a distinct track record of success. We’ve done this for more than 40 years by having great people operate in a culture of radical truth and radical transparency. Today, we manage about $160 billion for approximately 350 of the largest and most sophisticated global institutional clients including public and corporate pension funds, university endowments, charitable foundations, supranational agencies, sovereign wealth funds, and central banks.
Investment Engine COO Team Overview
The front office (Investment Engine) of Bridgewater Associates is purpose built to generate a fundamental, cause-and-effect understanding of global markets and translate that understanding into returns for clients. The office of the COO is responsible for partnering with senior managers in the Investment Engine to (1) enable the business through shared services and (2) co-manage the department through measurement and enforcement of shared standards. To support this work across each of our responsibilities, we are building out a group that will develop bespoke metrics and management tools.
The Business Analyst role on the Investment Engine COO team is primarily responsible for owning the development and systemization of a suite of reports that will compose an MVP business intelligence tool for senior managers in the front office of Bridgewater Associates. To accomplish this, the Business Analyst will partner with the product manager on a day-to-day basis to build and run these reports, most of which do not exist currently.
While the core of the role is the development and operation of a consistent set of metrics, there will be ad-hoc and sometimes urgent requests that come from the business. With partnership from others on the team, the Business Analyst will be responsible for producing timely, accurate, and high quality answers to these one-off questions.
Commensurate with the responsibilities, this person should be able to operate fairly independently based on high standards and analytical abilities to produce executive-ready content. In addition to running these reports, this individual should be able to explain what the metrics mean in a clear, concise manner, and will have opportunities to synthesize metrics to senior managers across the firm.
The analyst role comes with a broad range of exposure across the company given the cross-functional nature of the COO and the breadth of the responsibility.
The ideal candidate for this role is someone who:
- Values and connects to Bridgewater’s way of being, consistently challenging theirself and others to operate in accordance to Bridgewater’s Principles and ideals
- Is highly analytical, and driven to produce excellent results using that ability.
- Will balance precision and meticulous problem solving with the ability to see the big picture and identify important patterns and concepts
- Has a natural customer orientation and balances practicality with empathy when delivering reporting and information to customers
- Can understand and navigate various levels of thinking, and effectively sort through and distill information to form an accurate, representative synthesis
- Operate and Systemize – Professionalize the stack of Investment Engine COO reporting via independent work and partnerships with customers and stakeholders across the company
- Respond to Audibles – Be available (sometimes requiring late nights) to address emerging requests/ concerns from customers
- Build – Eventually be able to build metrics and reports independently (from requirements down) consistent with Investment Engine COO product design/architecture
Desired Skills and Experience:
- 1-2 years work experience in technical/semi-technical role (e.g. business analyst or more technical)
- Proficiency in SQL, Tableau, Excel or comparable analytical and data management platforms
- Moderate in Python, Java or comparable language
Please note that we do not provide immigration sponsorship for this position.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.