The goal of the Research department is to fundamentally how the global economy works. Embedded within the Research department is a uniquely talented technology team that builds the tools that allow our macro economists to conduct their research and understand the world’s economies at a level we believe no other firm is capable of. These tools tackle problems from data ingestion and storage, to data visualizations, to signal creation.
With a fundamental approach to researching markets, and systematic approach to understanding and executing on that understanding, Bridgewater places an unparalleled emphasis on technology as the key component to this process. The Sr. Software Engineer is a hands-on engineering role focused on designing and building architectures, platforms, and standards to model the world’s economic markets.
We think you’ll click with us if you
- Act like an owner consistently holding a high bar for the quality of your code and are passionate about doing things the “right way.”
- Anticipate problems and complications, and formulate solutions to unblock the progress of the project.
- Can react to a mission critical problem in an excellent way, and not sacrificing quality over speed.
- Are open-minded, appreciate direct feedback, and revel in intellectually rigorous environments.
You’ll Spend Your Time
- Engineering extremely sophisticated tools and collaborating with some of Bridgewater’s most sophisticated investors within our Research department.
- Building the next generation research platforms focused mostly on data: ingestion, storage, visualization, or simulation (team placement within the research department based on your skills and affinity).
- Mentoring more junior engineers and taking responsibility for developing your team.
- Strong computer science fundamentals with a mastery of backend platform-level development.
- 8-10+ years professional software development experience in technically rigorous environments holding extremely high bars for their engineers.
- Experience with extremely complex backend systems and a fluency with contemporary programming languages, patters, and architectures.
- Programming experience with Scala is a plus, but not required. We are not a language-specific shop; however, the majority of new backend technologies are built in Scala.
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.