Bridgewater Associates is focused on understanding how the world works. By having the deepest possible understanding of the global economy and financial markets, and translating that understanding into great portfolios and strategic partnerships with institutional clients, we've built a distinct track record of success. We've done this for more than 40 years by having great people operate in a culture of radical truth and radical transparency. Today, we manage about $160 billion for approximately 350 of the largest and most sophisticated global institutional clients including public and corporate pension funds, university endowments, charitable foundations, supranational agencies, sovereign wealth funds, and central banks.
What is Investment Engineering?
Investment Engineering is a small tight-knit group with a big mission: 60 of us own and innovate Bridgewater’s investment systems across the entire investment process. This includes market perception and views, portfolio construction, and trading. Every system is owned by an Engineering leader who:
- Is an expert in his/her investment domain and can hold the whole model of the investment system in his/her head
- Designs systems that beautifully express and run our investment logic and can evolve with our investment understanding
- Runs and develops a team of engineers to build and maintain the investment system
We also shape how Bridgewater does investment research: we deeply understand how exploration is done and evolve the methods and tools to more rapidly develop breakthrough insights.
What is the Investment Engineering Ethos?
We are an Engineering owned and led organization which strives to balance fierce independence with incredible community support in an environment that is intellectually vibrant and driven to make a mark on the world as a collaborative force
Our core values:
- Honesty, transparency, directness, personal accountability, driven by doing what's right for the organization
- Holding a very high bar for each other, everything we do, and everything we build
- Actively engaging in shaping our environment and how we do things. You create the culture again every day you come into the office - it must be highly dynamic and owned by all of us.
- Autonomy and self-motivation: we are here to enable and develop (not manage) great people who share our way of being
- Only A-players working contentfully on important problems that have a big impact
What is the opportunity for new full-time hires?
- We are aiming to grow the group by roughly a third in the next few years
- We are looking for people who can own one of our large investment systems in the next 5-7 years. High performers own sub-systems in 18-24 months.
- We develop people through direct mentorship – if you are successful here, it won’t be long before you are mentoring less experienced engineers
- When you start, you will be trained in a 9 month investment engineering course and will be given real project work that has real impact in our systems in the first 3 months
A Few Boxes You Should Tick:
- 0-to-5 years relevant work experience
- A bachelor’s or master’s degree and a strong academic record in a STEM major
- Solid track record of advancement/attainment in both school and work
Bridgewater Associates, LP is an Equal Opportunity Employer.