About Breakthrough Energy
Established in 2015 by Bill Gates and a coalition of private investors concerned about the impacts of accelerating climate change, Breakthrough Energy supports the innovations that will lead the world to net-zero emissions. We are building on the proven model of public-private partnerships that Gates has already used to transform health, education, and public welfare around the world. Breakthrough Energy is a network of entities and initiatives, including investment funds, nonprofit and philanthropic programs, and policy efforts linked by a common commitment to scale the technologies we need to achieve a path to net zero emissions by 2050. We are encouraging the development of new net-zero energy technologies, championing policies that speed innovation from lab to market, and bringing together governments, research institutions, private companies, and investors to expand and enhance clean-energy investment.
Breakthrough Energy embraces diversity and recognize our responsibility to provide a diverse and inclusive work environment. We value the benefits that arise from a diverse organization and are committed to fostering a culture of diversity, equity, and inclusion where employees of all backgrounds can collaboratively work and serve Breakthrough Energy’s mission. This is extended to all areas of the employee lifecycle and experience, including recruitment, hiring, compensation, training, promotions, career development programs, and benefits. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), parental status, national origin, age, disability, genetic information (including family medical history), political affiliation, military service, or other non-merit-based factors. We encourage diverse candidates to apply.
Job Description Overview
The Government Relations Manager will serve as a critical role on the Policy and Advocacy team, representing the positions of Breakthrough Energy before federal, state, and local governments. This is a new function on the team and this role is responsible for executing a comprehensive, proactive government affairs strategy that advances the mission and goals of Breakthrough Energy with federal elected officials, administration officials, and state officials. The Manager must have relevant experience in policy and/or policy advocacy and experience managing projects to completion. The Manager reports to the Senior Director of Government Relations on the Policy and Advocacy team.
- Work with Senior Director of Government Relations to execute a comprehensive government relations strategy to advance the policy agenda of Breakthrough Energy
- Cultivate and maintain durable relationships with lawmakers, administration officials, state-level officials and their staffs to advocate for the organization’s priorities
- Collaborate with leaders across Breakthrough Energy to ensure that the government relations strategy reflects the organization’s highest priority goals
- Ensure government relations activities are fully integrated and coordinated with the goals and strategies of the programs across Breakthrough Energy
- Continually assess shifting political dynamics, monitor evolving legislation and policy activities, and coordinate with Breakthrough Energy leaders and colleagues about upcoming opportunities and challenges
Skills and Expectations
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 8 to 10 years of experience in government, politics, and energy/climate issues
- Extensive knowledge of federal politics, legislative strategy/process, and administrative actions on climate and energy
- Familiarity with the science of climate change, the broad portfolio of clean energy technologies, and the range of potential policy frameworks for multiple sectors.
- Able to identify viable legislative or administrative pathways for policy priorities, and develop effective strategies to utilize those paths
- Ability to deal with a lack of clarity in role definition, work processes, and decision-making and to create clarity for others when little exists
- Comfortable working in a collaborative, inclusive workplace with matrix management
- Ability to bring together multiple perspectives into a cohesive effort
- Ability to accept the unexpected and adjust to what the situation now requires rather than what was planned
- Ability to effectively communicate with both internal and external stakeholders
- Able to produce excellent written communications for internal and external audiences
- Proven ability to build strong relationships quickly
As part of this commitment, Breakthrough Energy will ensure that persons with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodations. If reasonable accommodation is needed to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment, please contact Craig Staples at email@example.com.