Braze (formerly Appboy) is a customer engagement platform that delivers messaging experiences across push, email, apps, and more. Braze is built specifically for today’s mobile-first world and tomorrow’s ambient computing future. Braze is set apart as the platform that allows for real-time and continuous data streaming, replacing decades-old databases that aren’t built for today’s on-demand, always-connected customer. With data, technology, and teams working together in unison, the Braze platform makes marketing more authentic, brands more human, and customers more satisfied with every experience.
Each month, tens of billions of messages associated with over 1.5 billion active users are managed through our technology. Braze is a venture-backed company with hundreds of employees in offices located in New York City, San Francisco, London, and Singapore. Most recently, we’ve been named a Leader in the Forrester Wave™: Mobile Engagement Automation, Q3 2017 evaluation. We’ve been recognized by Forbes Cloud 100 at #85, ranked #225 on Inc.'s 500 Fastest Growing Private Companies, named a “Top 10 Upstart” by Business Insider, in addition to being #21 in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 List. Learn more at Braze.com.
WHAT WE'RE LOOKING FOR
We're looking for a DevOps engineer to help us grow and improve automation, site reliability, and enable our engineering team to use new technologies in a scalable, reliable, and highly available way. Braze operates at massive scale, collecting hundreds of billions of data points each month and sending hundreds of millions of messages to end-users daily. We use a diverse technology stack rooted in Ruby on Rails, MongoDB, Redis, and Hadoop, but we are adding new technologies and paradigms such as Kafka and distributed stream processing. We have infrastructure in a half dozen different data centers all managed by Chef, and a lot of caffeine.
We are seeking a strong operations owner who has a drive to automate anything that can be automated, at Braze scale. This individual will be directly responsible for an entire cluster of application nodes, sending services and the databases that support it.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Become an expert in how our product works from a technical standpoint
- Ensure that our message sending, big data pipeline and ingestion platforms can run and scale effortlessly
- Identify and resolve critical problems throughout the platform, which includes application performance.
- Develop Build and Deploy pipelines for applications in multiple languages using both docker and virtual instances
- Split on-call duty with other engineers on the team
- Ensure that Braze meets our strict enterprise-grade SLAs with customers
- Implement security changes, protocols, etc to ensure Braze meets our strict customer privacy promise.
WHO YOU ARE
- 3-5+ years of experience as a devops engineer/systems administrator/site reliability engineer
- Working knowledge of Python or Ruby
- In depth experience with Redis
- Previous experience using configuration management platforms to build and manage hundreds of servers
- Previous experience with Hadoop or Kafka
- Excellent communication skills
- Excellent ability to manage multiple tasks and expectations at once
- Previous work at startups
- Experience handling rapid user growth or global expansion
WHAT WE OFFER
Tech startup vibe including free daily lunches, snacks, and group events. Inclusive and diverse culture. Complete support from your teammates across all departments and a real “get it done” attitude for our customers. An opportunity to join a market leading company and have an impact.
- Excellent medical insurance and life assurance coverage for you and your dependents
- Matching 401K
- Tuition reimbursement program
- Daily lunches, snacks, and beverages
- Collaborative, transparent, collegial, and fun loving office culture
- Flexible time off policy to balance your work and life in the way that suits you best
In addition, this position is exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.