Braze (formerly Appboy) is a customer engagement platform that delivers messaging experiences across push, email, apps, and more. Braze is built specifically for today’s mobile-first world and tomorrow’s ambient computing future. Braze is set apart as the platform that allows for real-time and continuous data streaming, replacing decades-old databases that aren’t built for today’s on-demand, always-connected customer. With data, technology, and teams working together in unison, the Braze platform makes marketing more authentic, brands more human, and customers more satisfied with every experience.
Each month, tens of billions of messages associated with over 1.5 billion active users are managed through our technology. Braze is a venture-backed company with hundreds of employees in offices located in New York City, San Francisco, London, and Singapore. Most recently, we’ve been named a Leader in the Forrester Wave™: Mobile Engagement Automation, Q3 2017 evaluation. We’ve been recognized by Forbes Cloud 100 at #85, ranked #225 on Inc.'s 500 Fastest Growing Private Companies, named a “Top 10 Upstart” by Business Insider, in addition to being #21 in the Deloitte Technology Fast 500 List. Learn more at Braze.com.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR
More than 600 global consumer brands rely on Braze’s infrastructure for their own product experience. We’re looking for a Director of Site Reliability Engineering to manage, scale, and improve Site Reliability Engineering (“SRE”) at Braze. Strong communication skills are a must, as this role partners directly with senior managers and executives working on product engineering and infrastructure operations.
The mission of the SRE team is to increase confidence in changes to the Braze production environment, with a focus on performance and uptime for each service (internal and external) at Braze. The team is responsible for continuous improvement to service level objectives and for providing guidance, expertise, mentorship and education to the entire Engineering organization on how to build, test, monitor and deploy massively scalable applications.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Define, report on, and drive improvements toward service level objectives
- Hire, manage performance and establish career path opportunities for a global team of engineers working on massively scaled systems (1.5+ billion monthly active users)
- Create quarterly objectives and key results to increase uptime and system performance
- Partner effectively with product engineering and infrastructure teams to help achieve each groups’ key quarterly business objectives
- Enact continuous improvement through incident root cause analysis
- Foster a culture of modern engineering operational practices, reliability, and velocity
- Define and enable standards for configuration, monitoring, reliability, and performance
WHO YOU ARE
- Bachelor’s degree, or equivalent, in a technical field such as computer science or information systems
- Results-oriented with a track record of at least 8 years of building and managing engineering and operations groups, preferably teams that are globally distributed
- Proven ability to operate large-scale distributed systems to high availability targets
- Strong familiarity with containers and container-orchestration (Kubernetes, ECS, etc.)
- Experience using automation (Chef, Puppet, etc.) to make services more sustainable
- Capable of discussing in depth topics such as networking, infrastructure, debugging and optimizing code (Java, Python, Go or Ruby)
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills, and empathy for customers
WHAT WE OFFER
Complete tech startup vibe including free daily lunches & snacks, group events and top of the line computer setup! A general feeling throughout the office that what you do matters everyday.
Collaboration! Complete support of your teammates across all departments and a real “get it done” attitude for our customers.
- Excellent medical insurance and life assurance coverage for you and your dependents
- Matching 401K
- Daily catered lunches, snacks and beverages
- Collaborative, transparent, collegial and fun loving office culture
- Flexible time off policy to balance your work and life in the way that suits you best
In addition, this position is exempt under the provisions of the Fair Labor Standards Act.