Job: I&E Technician
Every day, Braskem’s 8,000 team members work to improve people’s lives through sustainable solutions in chemistry and plastics.
We pride ourselves on a culture that promotes diversity and inclusivity (D&I) encouraging its team members to be who they are, following the motto: “You are free to be you.” This mindset adds value to the organization by unlocking untapped potential. Braskem promotes collaborative behaviors that encourage new ideas and different perspectives. As a global organization, Braskem offers competitive employee benefits such as parental leave and educational reimbursement. We strongly encourage people with all different backgrounds and experiences, of all races and ethnicities, abilities, and people from the LGBTQIA+ community, to apply.
Braskem America is an indirect wholly owned subsidiary of Braskem S.A. headquartered in Philadelphia. The company is the leading producer of polypropylene in the United States, with six production plants located in Texas, Pennsylvania and West Virginia, an Innovation and Technology Center in Pittsburgh, and a new operation in Boston focused on leveraging groundbreaking developments in biotechnology and advanced materials. For more information, visit www.braskem.com/usa.
Location: Neal, WV
Travel Involved: Less than 5%
Job Type: Hourly
The Instrumentation / Electrical Technician position is responsible for installing, maintaining, and troubleshooting site instrumentation, control systems, and electrical equipment in order to provide a safe operation with maximum production availability. The position reports to the Maintenance Supervisor and receives work assignments, priorities, etc. from the Maintenance Supervisor or designee. The incumbent works closely with the Maintenance and Controls Engineers.
Key Responsibilities Include:
- Complete required repairs and tasks to instrument, control and electrical systems in an efficient, timely manner in order to restore or maintain safe operating capability.
- Install and check out new instrument, controls and electrical systems and equipment according to vendor specifications given, and in strict accordance to site and corporate standards and policies, thus improving plant safety or reliability.
- Recommend changes to existing instrument, controls and electrical systems or equipment in order to improve reliability or accuracy or further optimize process.
- Proficient knowledge and use of various test instruments such as calibration, diagnostic and monitoring systems.
- Detailed knowledge of operation, maintenance, repair and calibration of chemical process industry instrumentation and controls (for level, flow, pressure, temperature, analysis, pneumatic actuated valves, control valves).
- Detailed knowledge of the installation and maintenance of electrical supply and distribution systems (Motors, Drives, MCC, Transformers, Disconnects, wiring, lighting, etc.)
- Detailed knowledge of electronic process control systems, including distributed control (DCS), and programmable logic control (PLC) systems and the ability to troubleshoot and maintain these systems.
- Capability to perform basic mathematics, including fractions, decimal, and minor algebra.
- Ability to read and interpret piping and instrument diagrams (P&IDs)
- Knowledge of piping, bolting, gasketing, and basic rigging practices
- Knowledge of the NEC code. A full understanding of working in electrically classified areas.
- A working knowledge of computers and MS Windows operating system, E-Mail, Internet Explorer, etc. is required.
- Familiarity with safety practices and techniques relating to the chemical industry (e.g. LOTO, Confined Space Entry, Hot Work, Arc Flash awareness).
- Ability to write and revise written job instructions.
- Must have the flexibility to work additional hours when appropriate.
- It requires working indoors and outdoors with the use of stairways/ladders to perform tasks.
- Ability to work in confined spaces (ie. inside storage tanks and other vessels)
- Ability to frequently lift 21-50 lbs and on occasion would need to lift 50+ lbs.
- Operation of a forklift truck and passing a company administered proficiency test is required.
- Operation of aerial man lift equipment is required
- Minimum 2 years education in Technical school in the areas of electrical, electronics and instrumentation
- Must pass aptitude test
- Must actively participate in the Structured Management Process
- Must be self-motivated, capable of using vendor instructional documentation and electrical schematics to completely trouble shoot and repair equipment
- 5-7 years industrial experience
Preferred Skills, Education, and Experience:
- Detailed knowledge of HART-based communicators.
- Experience as a I/E technician working in a chemical manufacturing environment
- Ability to read blueprints, sketches, I/E drawings, and detailed I/E equipment.
- Experience with SIL instrumentation and systems
- SAP experience
- Analyzer experience
- Working knowledge of PLC’s, DCS and VFD’s
- Medium voltage switchgear electrical experience
- Wiring and conduit installation
Must be currently eligible to work in the United States without the need for any type of sponsorship.