As a member of the SRE Infrastructure team, you will be responsible for the reliability of Box's internal infrastructure services and applications as well as optimizing and architecting such services to align with our hybrid hosting strategy (Multi-Vendor Cloud Strategy, Containerization, etc). The team is responsible for the architecture, development, deployment, and maintenance of all these systems.
As such, this team requires a unique mix of development and systems oriented skills, and offers opportunities to grow in both software and systems engineering. You will collaborate closely with other engineering teams by utilizing agile methodologies as well as open-source technologies within the SRE community. As we evolve the infrastructure and move towards a service oriented architecture, it is imperative that we redefine how to think about operationalizing services in the future.
Why the team needs you
We are a team of highly motivated and driven engineers who are dedicated to Box's future - to solving tomorrow's problems today. We understand how critical the scalability and reliability of the infrastructure is to the growth of the company and take that responsibility seriously. We would love to find someone who shares our drive and will help propel us to continue architecting services for a heterogeneous and platform agnostic environment (Multi-Cloud (Public/Private), Containers, etc)
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. We need to expedite this effort by building highly available and distributed Infrastructure services in a heterogenous environment. That's where you come in.
Why you need Box
You're going to have the unique opportunity to design, build and influence the application delivery of a hyper-scale company that's been recognized as an industry leader. As you drive and scale our infrastructure, you will get to work with cutting-edge technologies including Kubernetes, Smartstack, and all major cloud providers. You will have visibility across all of Engineering and have impact directly on the entire business.
Who you are
- You have a solid understanding of systems and application design, including the operational trade-offs of different architectures
- You enjoy troubleshooting in a distributed Linux systems environment and are comfortable in tracing problems through applications, systems and networks
- You have worked in cross-functional engineering teams and know what it means to enable others’ success
- You take ownership and strive to work with others to solve large problems.
- You like to build tools that automate your job, using one or more languages: Python, GO, Bash, Ruby, etc
- You have experience working with the likes of the following technologies: DNS, LDAP, Puppet (we're on 4), Sensu, Git, Jenkins, HAproxy/Squid, Docker, etc. (Having managed large scale Puppet infrastructure is a plus)
- Minimum 5+ years of handling services in a large scale production environment and enjoy talking about stability, scalability and performance limits of services
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently
- Track record of successful practical problem solving, excellent written and social communication, and documentation skills