WHAT IS BOX?
Box is the market leader for Cloud Content Management. Our mission is to power how the world works together. Box is partnering with enterprise organizations to accelerate their digital transformation by creating a single platform for secure content management, collaboration and workflow. We have an amazing opportunity to further establish ourselves as leaders in the space, and we need strong advocates to help us achieve that goal.
Today, Box powers over 100,000 businesses, including 67% of the Fortune 500 who trust Box to manage their content in the cloud. Our Warsaw office is an incredibly exciting addition to our EMEA expansion. We're already in UK, France, and Germany, and the new Poland location will act as a global engineering and product development hub alongside our headquarters in Redwood City, California.
WHY BOX NEEDS YOU?
Box is looking for a Senior Software Engineer to join the Conversion Clients team. The Conversion Clients team's charter is to design, build and maintain services which deal with the conversion of user’s files into various formats that are consumed by a wide range of features. These services are critical to Box's success, enabling rich use cases on top of customer data such as preview, search, real time collaboration, content intelligence, automation, workflows and more. This is a unique opportunity to impact the next generation of content-based features at Box.
There are plenty of interesting challenges to be had such as working on large scale distributed systems, deep diving into advanced file formats and working with a diverse set of technologies and teams.
The Conversion Clients team is part of Box’s backend Storage Platform. Over the past eight years, the Storage Platform has grown from a handful of services just starting to exit the monolith to over thirty micro-services running across multiple US data centers, two US-based GCP compute regions and five global AWS compute regions. In that same period, the Box storage corpus has grown from a few tens of petabytes in a single cloud bucket to over half an exabyte across every major cloud provider in nine global locations. By building the geographically distributed, exa-scale platform powering the next generation of content-driven applications, the team will undoubtably play a key role in Box’s continued content management journey.
As a Senior Software Engineer you will be one of the founding members who will help shape the culture and roadmap of the team.
The work you do will bring a smile to all Box customers :)
WHAT YOU'LL DO?
- Work closely with Engineering Leadership to develop strategies for evolving the platform to its next generation.
- Collaborate with Product Management to help refine requirements and break down complex projects into meaningful, deliverable units and lead the effort.
- Deliver product features to the business.
- Improve the current code base and infrastructure.
- Model best practices in crafting systems and code with sound architectures, reliability, scalability, and maintainability.
- Communicate technical ideas and direction across the organization.
WHO YOU ARE?
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science or Engineering, or equivalent work experience.
- 5+ years of Software Development experience in distributed systems.
- You have experience designing, building, and deploying high quality software.
- You have a passion for building highly available and scalable distributed systems at large scale.
- Strong coder with demonstrated proficiency in one of the backend languages such as Java, Scala or C++.
- You are excited about solving complex technical problems using data-driven solutions.
- You act like an owner and strive to do work you're proud of, both technically and in your team interactions.
- You speak English proficiently.
BONUS POINTS FOR
- Experience in performance analysis of distributed systems with high scale.
- Experience in hosting services in the public cloud (Google Cloud/AWS).
- Experience in working with various file formats.
- Experience with advanced file conversions such as video transcoding.
PERCENTAGE OF TIME SPENT
- 20% design
- 35% coding
- 10% Infrastructure
- 10% documentation
- 15% triaging of issues and bug fixes
- 10% meetings
- Messaging - Slack
- Ticketing/Planning - JIRA
- Build server - Jenkins
- Virtualization - Kubernetes
- Cloud infrastructure - GCP
- Application stack - Java & Scala microservices on Kubernetes, PHP, Python
- Queue/Stream - Kafka, Google Pub/Sub
- NoSQL - Google Cloud Big Table
- Caching - Redis
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.
For details on how we protect your information when you apply, please see our Personnel Privacy Notice.
For more details on how Box Poland protects your information, please see our Supplemental Personnel and Candidate Privacy Notice.