Our mission is to build the world's fastest, most secure, scaleable, and highly available collaborative content platform. Serving billions of files, hundreds of millions of folders, and tens of millions of users, alongside a rich contextual metadata platform, the Box File System is the very heart of our product and foundation of our platform.
Box is rapidly evolving across many fronts - from simplifying and enhancing sharing, to implementing new ways to annotate, search, filter, and organize content, to enabling powerful new platform use-cases that stretch us to the limits of our scale. We are a dedicated team, passionate about building a robust, distributed, scalable platform powering content and collaboration at Box. If this sounds like an exciting challenge to you, come join us.
Role and Team
As a the Senior Manager of the File System Platform team you lead the engineering teams dedicated to building our scalable platform managing file and folder objects, the hierarchical relationship between them, access relationships from user, and more. Your team's work requires architecting for scale, strong API design fundamentals, and a passion for working in a large-scale distributed environment, while also working closely with product teams to make sure we're building the right product abstractions to enable the full Box ecosystem of products.
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. As we rapidly build out new capabilities for collaboration, workflow, and intelligence, the scale, stability and agility of the File System Platform is crucial to our success. That's where you come in.
As a technical and inspiring leader, you will work across organizational and team boundaries in order to drive decisions that align with our future architecture, product, and business goals. You will lead significant technology initiatives from inception to successful deployment, across multiple layers of architecture. We'll look to you to drive effective execution, delivering key business impact, while cultivating and growing an excellent team.
Why you need Box
The Box engineering team provides a unique combination of technical challenges around scale, reliability, and new feature development. As part of the File System Platform team, you're going to have the opportunity to architect, build and scale a distributed web-scale content management system. You will work closely with our database infrastructure and operations teams to ensure the performance and availability of our service. As a central team in our platform, you will support and enable many engineering teams in building out the next wave of critical product features for Box.
What you'll be responsible for
- Partner with Product Management and technical leaders to build a compelling vision and roadmap for the File System Platform and the broader Core Content Organization
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners and stakeholders to ensure we're is delivering true business impact
- Cultivate a culture of excellence on the team through a focus on execution, quality, and scale
- Guide the professional growth of engineers and leads, providing relevant and timely career guidance and feedback
- Grow the team through hiring great engineers and building out an organizational structure to support our team goals
- Model and uphold our values through building a collaborative, inclusive team with a focus on customer impact and building for leverage
Who you are
- Several years of experience as a software engineering manager, ideally leading teams owning high-scale production services
- Experience managing multiple teams and coaching and developing new managers
- Several years experience as a Software Engineer
- Experience driving effective execution with agile processes in a highly dynamic environment
- Act like an owner with a strong focus on impact
- Able to model and cultivate a collaborative inclusive culture
- Strong communicator, able to build a compelling vision for their team
- Leading cross-functional projects
- Building large scale distributed data services
- Building content management systems
- Founded in 2005, Box (NYSE:BOX) is transforming the way people and organizations work so they can achieve their greatest ambitions. As the world's leading enterprise software platform for secure content collaboration, Box helps business of all sizes in every industry securely access and manage their critical information in the cloud. Box is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with offices across the United States, Europe and Asia. To learn more about Box, visit
- Find out about our engineering team at our tech blog (), our careers page () or by following us at and
- Developer Ecosystem: