Why Box Needs You
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in Cloud Content Management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. As we rapidly build out new capabilities for collaboration, workflow, and intelligence, more and more content is being uploaded and collaborated on within Box. That's where you come in.
Who You Are
We're looking for a seasoned, practical and hands-on attorney to join our legal team and lead our privacy strategies worldwide. As the Director of Privacy law, you will primarily focus on providing strategic direction to Box regarding existing and emerging local and global privacy and data protection laws. Additionally, you'll also focus on counseling and program support for global privacy and data protection compliance initiatives across the company, acting as a subject matter expert in supporting commercial transactions while also playing a leading role in Box's public policy initiatives relating to privacy and data protection. We're a nimble legal team supporting a globally growing company so the opportunity for impact is real! This role will report in to our General Counsel and will work closely with members of our legal, compliance, and security teams, as well as cross-functionally across the company. This position is located at Box's HQ in Redwood City, CA.
What You’ll Be Responsible For
- Leading Box's worldwide privacy and data protection strategies.
- Partner with legal, compliance, security, product, marketing, engineering, and other business teams on critical privacy and data protection issues in the U.S., Europe, APAC, and beyond.
- Develop, implement, and maintain internal and external privacy policies, disclosures and consents for compliance, accuracy, and clarity.
- Manage compliance with all applicable privacy and data protection laws and regulations, including the General Data Protection Regulation and California Consumer Privacy Act.
- Draft, review, and help negotiate privacy and data protection-related provisions of customer agreements, business partnerships, and other complex commercial contracts.
- Assist in security incident response and internal investigations.
- Evaluate and help prepare Box to comply with U.S. and international legislative, regulatory, legal developments, and industry guidelines involving privacy and data protection.
- Help lead Box's public policy initiatives related to privacy and data protection.
Education and Experience
- JD with 10+ years of experience, a substantial portion of which has been focused on privacy and data protection issues.
- World-class expertise in privacy and data protection laws and regulations in the U.S., Europe APAC and the world.
- Track record of developing practical solutions to novel problems, as well as identifying, prioritizing, and resolving issues quickly and independently.
- Experience negotiating privacy, security, and compliance terms in technology agreements.
- Exceptional project management and communication skills.
- Flexibility to travel as required.
- CIPP certification(s) and experience working with SaaS companies preferred.
- Team player, good sense of humor, and passionate about your work.