Our mission at Box is to build the world's fastest, most secure, scaleable, and highly collaborative content platform. Our mission on this team is to singularly focus on making Box the most collaborative content platform out there. Sharing and collaboration are at the core of what we do at Box. We are a dedicated team, passionate about building scalable solutions to simplify, enhance and build brand new collaboration experiences at Box. If this sounds like an exciting challenge to you, come join us.
Role & Team
As the manager of the Collaboration team within the Applications org, you will lead a full-stack engineering team that drives many of Box's most critical new features to power efficient collaboration on Box. Your team's work requires architecting for scale, strong API design fundamentals, owning microservices and a passion for working in a large-scale distributed environment. This team is a full-stack team which means we get the opportunity to handle everything including building incredible user experiences on frontend in React to spinning up new instances on the backend for the microservices powering the experiences we build.
Some of the recent challenges this team delivered:
- Just launched the experience on Box. This included building brand new microservices to power Notification Center and Tasks across all modalities (Web, Mobile, Desktop). Fun fact: These services currently serve ~2000 rps.
- Rebuilt and launched simplified sharing flows on Box ().
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. As we rapidly build out new capabilities for metadata, workflow, and intelligence, we need a robust way in which users are able to seamlessly collaborate on Box. That's where you come in.
As a technical and inspiring leader, you will work across organizational and team boundaries in order to drive decisions that align with our future architecture, product, and business goals. You will lead significant technology initiatives from inception to successful deployment, across multiple layers of architecture. Collaboration is at the core of our strategy, and we'll look to you to drive effective execution, delivering key business impact, while cultivating and growing an excellent team.
Why you need Box
The Box engineering team provides a unique combination of technical challenges around scale, reliability, and new feature development. As part of the Collaboration team, you're going to have the opportunity to architect, build and deliver seamless collaboration experiences on Box, at scale. As a team that owns these services, you will be enable Mobile, Desktop and Platform teams build the next wave of seamless collaboration experiences for Box.
What you'll be responsible for
- Partner with Product Management and technical leaders to build a compelling vision and roadmap for Collaboration and the broader Apps Organization
- Collaborate with cross-functional partners and stakeholders to ensure the team is delivering true business impact
- Cultivate a culture of excellence on the team through a focus on execution, quality, and scale
- Guide the professional growth of engineers, providing relevant and timely career guidance and feedback
- Grow the team through hiring great engineers
- Model and uphold our values through building a collaborative, inclusive team with a focus on customer impact and building for leverage
Who you are
- Several years of experience as a software engineering manager, ideally leading teams owning high-scale production services
- Several years experience as a Software Engineer
- Experience driving effective execution with agile processes in a highly dynamic environment
- Act like an owner with a strong focus on impact
- Able to model and cultivate a collaborative inclusive culture
- Strong communicator, able to build a compelling vision for their team
- Leading cross-functional projects
- Managing multiple teams or managing through managers
- Building large scale distributed data services
- Building content management systems
- Founded in 2005, Box (NYSE:BOX) is transforming the way people and organizations work so they can achieve their greatest ambitions. As the world's leading enterprise software platform for secure content collaboration, Box helps business of all sizes in every industry securely access and manage their critical information in the cloud. Box is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with offices across the United States, Europe and Asia. To learn more about Box, visit
- Find out about our engineering team at our tech blog (), our careers page () or by following us at and
- Developer Ecosystem: