Box's data infrastructure is going through a rapid transformation as we continue to scale our business. MySQL, HBase, Redis, and other database technologies are all at the heart of enabling Box's ability to store and retrieve critical customer data with low latency. The Database Operations team is responsible for continually pushing the boundaries of our data infrastructure capabilities through developing tools to improve infrastructure leverage, collaborating with engineers across various teams to on-board and support new products, and continuing to drive improvements to the reliability and availability of Box's database platforms.
In this role, you will be discovering opportunities to drive efficiencies in our hardware and software platforms as well as improving or automating manual processes. As the infrastructure continues to grow, you'll be developing robust software to automate routine tasks, automate infrastructure management, and validate changes to database configuration to improve overall throughput of our data platforms.
Why the team needs you
The Database Operations team is comprised of talented and motivated engineers who continually push the boundaries for our team and organization, as a whole. We will be looking for your unique experience and insights in managing MySQL in a Linux environment. Your background in Linux systems administration or software development along with your continued passion to grow and challenge others in the team will be paramount to finding the best possible solutions to the challenges we set out to solve, as a team.
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. Come help us define a robust way to build, operate, and scale Box's data platforms that power this industry-leading mission!
Why you need Box
You're going to have the unique opportunity to help scale out a rapidly growing data platform using MySQL and other non-relational data stores as backends to customer-facing client applications. Like others in this position, you'll be challenged to push existing configurations beyond their current limits through performance testing and tuning. You'll also get to take on opportunities to build software with a test-driven development mindset that aims to simplify routine work or resolve larger technical problems. Through collaboration with engineers across other teams in the engineering organization, you'll also enable the development of new products that have a lasting and direct impact on the entire business.
Who you are
- You have production operations experience and enjoy talking about stability, scalability, and how to improve the performance of MySQL databases
- You've used tools like Percona Toolkit, MySQL Utilities, Performance Schema, Common Schema, debug, and scale MySQL database infrastructures
- You are a problem solver and You enjoy troubleshooting in a sharded database environment and want to dive into the internals of MySQL and Linux to track down complex problems
- You've worked in multi-functional engineering teams and have an eye for enabling others' success in building new features and software to grow our business
- You have a passion for automating routine work with software written in Python, PHP, Bash, Java, Go, and more
Here's the fine print...
Want to learn more? Take a look at our blog to get the last from Gartner and recent announcements: https://blog.box.com/blog/leader-gartner-magic-quadrant-content-collaboration-platforms-2018/
- 30% year-on-year growth
- 97% approval rating of our CEO Aaron Levie and 4.6 culture rating (via Glassdoor)
- Fantastic and diverse bunch of colleagues!
- Active social calendar and communities, including Box Women's Network and PRIDE.
- Flat organization: easy access to talented Directors, VPs and above
- Culture of learning - we value continued development at Box. Host a number of workshops regularly from unconscious bias and radical candor.
- Box.org: Provides nonprofits with the technology resources they need to innovate and fulfill their mission
- Strong benefits inc Pension, Medical, dental cover
- European offices in Munich, Paris, Amsterdam and Stockholm
- 25 days of vacation (plus your birthday off!) and 3 x paid charity days
- Subsidized gym membership and robust wellness program
- Free lunch + lots of snacks and drinks
- Awesome EMEA HQ office in White Collar Factory @ the heart of London tech scene on Old Street roundabout
About Box: Founded in 2005, Box (NYSE:BOX) is transforming the way people and organizations work so they can achieve their greatest ambitions. As the world's leading enterprise software platform for secure content collaboration, Box helps business of all sizes in every industry securely access and manage their critical information in the cloud. Box is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with offices across the United States, Europe and Asia. To learn more about Box, visit www.box.com.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.