Box's data infrastructure is going through a rapid transformation as we continue to scale our business. MySQL, HBase, Redis, Memcached, and other database technologies are all at the heart of enabling Box's ability to store and retrieve critical customer data with low latency. The Database Operations team is responsible for continually pushing the boundaries of our data infrastructure capabilities through the development of tools to improve infrastructure leverage, collaborating with engineers across various teams to on-board and support new products, and continuing to drive improvements to the resiliency and availability of Box's database platforms.
In this role, you will be discovering opportunities to drive efficiencies in our hardware and software platforms as well as automating away manual processes. As the infrastructure continues to grow, you'll be developing robust software to automate routine tasks, automate infrastructure management, and validate changes to database configuration to improve overall throughput of our data platforms.
Why the team needs you
The Database Operations team is comprised of talented and motivated engineers who continually push the boundaries for our team and organization, as a whole. We will be looking for your unique experience in software development and passion for automating and administering hundreds of MySQL instances in a Linux environment. Your background in software engineering or Linux systems administration coupled with your enthusiasm to grow and challenge others on the team will be paramount to finding the best possible solutions that we set out to solve as a team.
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. Come help us define a robust way to build, operate, and scale Box's data platforms that power this industry-leading mission!
Why you need Box
You're going to have the unique opportunity to help scale out a rapidly growing data platform using MySQL and other non-relational data stores as backends to customer-facing client applications. Like others in this position, you'll take on opportunities to build software with a test-driven development mindset that aims to simplify routine work and resolve larger technical problems. You'll also be challenged to push existing configurations beyond their current limits through performance testing and tuning. Through collaboration with engineers across other teams in the engineering organization, you'll also enable the development of new products that have a lasting and direct impact on the entire business.
Who you are
You have 3+ years of professional software development and production operations experience and enjoy discussing resiliency, scalability, and improving performance of hundreds of MySQL databases
- You have experience designing, building, and deploying high quality software with test frameworks and CI/CD
- You have automated routine work with software written in Python, PHP, Java, Go, and more
- You are excited to troubleshoot issues spanning hundreds of databases and want to dive into the internals of MySQL and Linux to resolve complex problems
- You've worked in cross-functional engineering teams and have an eye for enabling others' success in building new features and software to grow our business
How we show up in our values and behaviors
Blow our customers minds: making sure our customers are always wildly successful with Box.
Take Risks. Fail Fast. GSD: ruthlessly prioritize and pull the plug when something is not working.
10X it: strive for breakthrough vs incremental progress.
Be a owner. it's your company: hold yourself accountable.
Be candid and assume good intent: focus on getting to the truth and not winning arguments.
Bring your whole self to work every day: feel comfortable being who you truly are.
Make mum proud: do right by your colleagues, customers and community.
Here is the fine print...
- 20% + year on year growth.
- 97% approval rating of our CEO Aaron Levie and 4.5 culture rating (via Glassdoor).
- Fantastic and diverse bunch of colleagues (..well across Europe we have 31 nationalities including Andorra).
- Active social calendar and communities, including Box Women's Network and PRIDE.
- Flat organization: easy access to talented Directors, VPs and above.
- Culture of learning - we value .continued development at Box. Host a number of workshops regularly from unconscious bias and radical candor
- Box.org: Plentiful opportunity for you to give back and provides nonprofits resources they need to innovate and fulfill their mission. Each Boxer has 3 x charity days a year for your chosen community.
Package includes RSUs, pension, medical and dental cover. We have a robust wellness program including 25 days of vacation (plus your birthday off!) and gym membership. There is such a thing as a free lunch, our inhouse chef prepares this daily along with lots of snacks and drinks. EMEA HQ office is located in the wonderful White Collar Factory on Old Street, smaller European offices are in Germany, France, Netherlands and Sweden.
Are you ready? Hit apply now and you will hear a response within three working days.
Box (NYSE:BOX) is the cloud content management company that empowers enterprises to revolutionize how they work by securely connecting their people, information and applications. Founded in 2005, Box powers more than 90,000 businesses globally and over 70 % of the Fortune 500, customers include AstraZeneca, General Electric, Eurostar and London Met Police . Box is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with offices across the United States, Europe and Asia. To learn more about Box, visit http://www.box.com.