The General Ledger (GL) Accountant is a key role at Box. The GL Accountant will work closely with the Data Center team, IT and Workplace Services (WPS) team, and support Strategic Planning & Analysis (SP&A) team on flux analysis. This position is responsible for effectively executing policies and procedures to ensure accurate and timely recording of Fixed Assets, Property Tax, and Lease transactions in accordance with GAAP. In addition, this position will be assigned specific projects.
- Responsible for the full cycle of fixed assets, including invoice processing related to capital and operating leases, as well as other capital expenditures.
- Maintain the fixed asset sub-ledger system (including asset additions, adjustments and retirements) ensuring accurate and complete data for all office locations.
- Month-end close responsibilities include CIP accruals and preparing Fixed Asset reconciliations and journal entries, including appropriate documentation.
- Manage purchase orders and accurately record accruals for the Data Centers, IT and WPS departments and other journal entries as part of the month-end financial close. Resolve purchase order, invoicing, and flux discrepancies with internal teams and external vendors.
- Research and prepare commentary for month-end variance analysis of assigned Income Statement and Balance Sheet accounts. Partner with Finance’s SP&A team to assist with actuals vs. budgets flux for responsible departments and accounts.
- Collaborate with the internal teams to improve current business processes, enhance reporting and efficiently execute key initiatives.
- Accurate and timely preparation of and explanations for assigned audit related requests.
- Identify, communicate, and partner with Enterprise Systems team to resolve system bugs or needed roadmap enhancements.
- Collaborate and serve as a liaison to other departments on accounting matters with cross functional impact, including but not limited to other Controllership functions, EMEA and Japan teams, Strategic Planning and Analysis, WPS (Facilities), IT, and Data Center.
- Support Accounting and Shared Services initiatives, ad-hoc projects and reporting. Participate in wider departmental projects and initiatives as requested.
- Perform at a Meets or Exceeds expectations level for the specific duties outlined above.
- Develop technical knowledge and experience to satisfactorily achieve the specific duties outlined above.
- Prompt, timely, and courteous response to inquiries.
- Achieve 360 results from peers and relevant stakeholders indicating exceptional partnering, performance and support.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Business Administration, Economics or related field
- 1-3 years of general accounting experience. Fixed asset experience preferred.
- Knowledge of accounting principals, and ability to apply principles to job responsibilities.
- Proficient with MS Excel skills (pivots, v-lookups, formulas).
- High-tech multi-national or SaaS based industry experience is a plus.
- Experience with NetSuite and SOX is a plus.
- Team- oriented with good verbal and written communication skills and an ability to build relationships effectively
- Acute attention to detail, organizational, and time-management skills
- Customer-service skills with a well-developed sense of urgency and follow through
- System and data flow knowledge, analytical, and problem-solving skills
- Self-motivated and self-managed with the ability to multi-task and think independently, creatively, and opportunistically
- High level of energy and a desire to thrive and develop in a growing, complex, fast-paced organization
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature of work being performed by the employees assigned to this classification. They are not an exhaustive list of all the responsibilities, duties, and skills required of employees so classified