If you are passionate about working on technologies and design approaches that are disruptive to incumbent Enterprise players, like Open Source, tooling and automation and agile concepts, and are interested in opportunities to work at massive scale, we may have just the job for you. We're looking for highly motivated and hardworking engineer for our Cloud Infrastructure Engineering (CIE) team to own our global OS lifecycle.
Why the team needs you
The CIE team owns Box's IaaS and PaaS environments, providing the key platforms for Box's customers. You will bring your expertise in designing and deploying production-grade, highly secure and performant Linux distributions to provide increased value across all services. You have a strong desire to minimize Day 2 operations and will be a major influencer and driver for the company's OS lifecycle. Each engineer has a primary focus area (Openstack or OS) but is expected to be able to participate in on-call rotation encompassing all domains.
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. We are undergoing a massive change in how we run our services and need to dramatically improve our OS lifecycle. That's where you come in.
Why you need Box
You're going to have the opportunity to architect, build and support the OS in use company wide, setting best practices from a security, performance and feature-set perspective. Your work will directly impact all Product and Ops teams and you will have impact across all of Engineering. Additionally, you will be joining a team responsible for designing and supporting large IaaS and PaaS environments to provide growth areas for your career.
Who you are
You take an Ops-centric approach to everything you build, ensuring availability, performance and security are core components.
- You act like an owner and strive to do work you're proud of, both technically and in your team interactions
- Inspire other people to work with you, and you enjoy mentoring and coaching more junior engineers
- Able to automate solutions for complex & repetitive problems and passionate about solving hard problems.
- You have expertise in the relevant technologies (CentOS 7, SELinux) in a large-production environment
- Proficient with Linux OS hardening (applying OS STIGs, CIS Benchmarks, SELinux)
- You demonstrate knowledge of CI/CD process and framework to build/update base OS images
- Comfortable with common infrastructure tools (Puppet, Ansible, LDAP, Sensu, Splunk, Artifactory, Jenkins, Spinnaker, or the like)
- Embrace and want to drive towards an Infrastructure-as-Code model.
- You have experience building automations, preferably with Python.
- 5-8+ years of experience in production operations; 3+ years of recent experience installing, configuring and deploying Linux based operating systems
The fine print:
Primary owner (design, build, support the infrastructure) of the Base OS (Centos 7), including requirements gathering, architecting and maintaining the OS configuration.
- Driver for deprecating Scientific Linux, guiding service owners during their transition to Centos7.
- Drive improvements to the OS CI/CD pipeline to ensure consistent, validated images through environments and platforms.
- Drive containerization of services on bare-metal and VM to provide abstraction of the OS from developers.
- Partner in security patching and hardening processes.
- Point of contact for compliance for audits of the base OS.
- Provide support and guidance for teams migrating from SL6 to Centos7
About Box: Founded in 2005, Box (NYSE:BOX) is transforming the way people and organizations work so they can achieve their greatest ambitions. As the world's leading enterprise software platform for secure content collaboration, Box helps business of all sizes in every industry securely access and manage their critical information in the cloud. Box is headquartered in Redwood City, CA, with offices across the United States, Europe and Asia. To learn more about Box, visit
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.