At Boxed, our mission is to address the evolving data needs of businesses through our experience within the e-Commerce landscape. What began as an end-to-end solution for Boxed.com is now a world-class suite of SaaS products, powered by advanced analytics and machine learning. Retailers and companies of various industries can easily produce deep business insights, resulting in data-driven, positive outcomes in all facets of their operations.
Our Engineering team is a brilliant cultivator of technology powering our world class platform & SaaS spanning everything from Catalog, Orders & Fulfillment, and Personalization. Being part of Boxed’s Engineering team means you’ll work with wicked-smart individuals from all over the world who contribute as engineers, product managers, designers, and data scientists. Every day our Engineering team innovates in the depths of e-commerce with the latest technologies and we’re excited to welcome engineers who are ready for a challenge and know how to think outside the box!
The DevOps team values an always-learning approach to technology. We want people who already know they don’t know it all and who are willing to work closely and honestly with team members to collectively and objectively find the best solutions to problems. Technological humility - the desire to build what’s correct over being the person who’s correct - is a trait we value highly.
As a DevOps Engineer, you’ll be helping to scale out and improve our large and growing GCP infrastructure and helping us manage our applications running in Docker and Kubernetes. Most of the software we run is Node.js, with a heavy reliance on MongoDB. Python, Go, and Java, which are also utilized for various services, as are several other data stores, including Redis, Postgres, Snowflake, and Elasticsearch.
**Our ideal candidate will have a background in Software Engineering and/or proficiency with 'writing' code.**
- Work collaboratively with the team to build out and improve our large and growing GCP infrastructure
- Improve and optimize our cloud infrastructure with Terraform
- Help automate and streamline our operations
- Troubleshoot and resolve issues in our dev, staging and production environments
- Support Software Engineers with building, testing, and deploying their applications
- Be on an on-call rotation with the rest of the Engineering team
- Be a critical part of not just the technology team but to the company as an excellent problem solver.
- Good programming skills - must have some proficiency writing code
- Experience with Kubernetes
- Experience with GCP components & pitfalls (AWS or Azure also acceptable)
- Experience with an IaaC tool (Terraform)
- Experience with a CI/CD tool such as Jenkins
- Experience writing Dockerfiles for apps in multiple languages
- Experience writing scripts to automate repetitive tasks
- Disaster recovery experience, especially if self-inflicted
- Experience with MongoDB performance analysis, debugging, and/or data modeling
- Familiarity with cloud networking - Firewalls, NAT, VPN, network peering
- Experience running Node.js apps under load
- Ability to debug system problems like running out of memory, inodes, or ephemeral ports
- Knowledge of distributed systems (formal theory or learned firsthand)
- Experience using a Log Aggregation Platform.
- As needed, assist with the implementation, compliance, and maintenance of Sarbanes Oxley and internal control over financial reporting requirements.
Benefits & Perks:
- Working with smart, positive people
- Competitive Base Salary = $130,000 to $160,000 per year
- Stock options
- Unlimited vacation
- Full healthcare benefits.