About the company
Boxed is a rapidly growing ecommerce retailer and enabler built on the foundation of a world-class proprietary technology platform. With 8+ years of evolution, iteration, and successful disruption of the U.S. wholesale club industry, Boxed has developed a comprehensive “tap-to-ship” Ecommerce tech stack few other companies can boast. With Boxed, customers can have their household, pantry, and personal care essentials delivered to their home or office in 2 days or less with no membership fee. Our goal is to leverage our technology and data to deliver a superior shopping experience to our customers via our web and mobile app platforms.
Our office is a dynamic, collaborative family of individuals. At our core, we are a data-driven, customer-centric technology company, and data truly is at the center of everything we do. We are a vibrant, fun and close group of engineers, product managers, data scientists, analysts, and operations specialists with a passion for driving superior value and experience to our customers.
About the team
The Data Analytics & Strategy team’s mission is to empower operators with accurate and actionable data, robust tools, and strategic insights to unlock value for the business. We believe in using data to inform every decision, and we work hard to ensure that every dollar invested is optimized to generate the best outcome for the company. This position will play a crucial role in revealing and enabling revenue growth, margin expansion, and maximization of the company’s aggregate customer lifetime value. The team will also take an active role in driving performance and instilling a culture of transparency and accountability.
About the role
We are looking for a high performing Director of Business Intelligence to join our Data Analytics & Strategy team. The ideal candidate will thrive in a fast-paced & high-growth organization, and possess strong technical and quantitative capabilities with a natural ability to build relationships internally in order to structure and deliver superior strategic insights in a scalable manner. This role will have the opportunity to build out a business intelligence team and will in the future recruit, train, and manage a team of analysts. This position will report directly to the VP of Analytics & Strategy.
Role and Responsibilities
- Partner with cross-functional teams such as Marketing/Product/Merchandising/Operations and Customer Service to deliver standardized, automated, and actionable insights via business intelligence tools
- Lead and manage migration from current Sisense BI Tool (aka Periscope Data) to Sisense Fusion Analytics and see through full implementation of new platform
- Partner with Sisense team and 3rd party implementation consultants to ensure a smooth and orderly transition, maintaining concurrency on both platforms to ensure no disruption to critical reporting and business operations
- Own and maintain Business Intelligence capabilities, systems, and processes including RFP processes for new tools and upgrades to existing tools (both 3rd party and proprietary)
- Partner with Palantir team and internal stakeholders to identify further opportunities to leverage Palantir’s Foundry platform to enable and optimize Boxed retail performance
- Partner with cross-functional retail teams to develop and standardizing analytics dashboards and reporting with an emphasis on enabling self-service, data discovery, and data literacy
- Leverage Sisense BI Tool(s), SQL, dbt, GitHub and other tools to build upon Boxed’s analytics capabilities in our centralized data warehouse, including: advanced data modeling, standardized views and dashboards, automated reporting, and ad-hoc analytics requests
- Work with the cross-functional Data team, inclusive of Product Managers, Data Scientists, and Data Engineers to support the advancement of Boxed’s analytics engineering framework including scoping of new data models, rigorous documentation of data models and schemas, and standardization of processes and workflows throughout the broader data organization
- Act as a strategic thought partner for cross-functional retail teams to both generate and evaluate the viability/impact of new tests and initiatives
- Analyze results of A/B tests across the platform leveraging proprietary tools, SQL, and statistical models and synthesize clear recommendations for business unit owners
- Work with VP of Analytics to determine optimal organizational structure for supporting Boxed’s Retail Operations; scope roles for dedicated BI analysts; recruit, hire, and train analyst(s)
- 6-8 years of experience in a quantitative, analytically focused role in business intelligence or analytics; experience in Ecommerce and/or tech-enabled services required; experience in start-ups or growth stage businesses a plus
- BS/BA degree in data analysis, analytics, data science, economics, mathematics, finance, engineering or a related discipline strongly preferred
- Demonstrated fluency in SQL, relational databases, data modeling tools (e.g. dbt), data warehouses (e.g. Snowflake), GitHub, business intelligence tools (e.g. Periscope, Sisense, Domo, Looker, Tableau), and 3rd party data analytics providers / connectors (Google Analytics, Segment, Fivetran, Airbyte, Branch etc.)
- Familiarity with workflow / DAG scheduling and management tools such as Airflow a plus
- Familiarity with continuous integration and deployment automation servers like Jenkins a plus
- Familiarity with Python, Command Line, and statistical programming (R, SAS, Stata), regression modeling and/or predictive modeling a plus
- Advanced skills with Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience applying advanced analytical frameworks to inform business strategy and drive superior results, relevant focus areas include: pricing optimization, SKU productivity analysis, funnel analysis, cohort / retention analysis, lifetime value modeling, marketing attribution, customer segmentation etc.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills, including the ability to present information to executives and interact effectively across all levels of the organization
- Sound business judgment; high level of organization, strong time management and prioritization skills and ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously; track record of taking ownership in a fast-paced and unstructured environment
- As needed, assist with the implementation, compliance, and maintenance of Sarbanes Oxley and internal control over financial reporting requirements.
Benefits and Perks
- Working with smart, intellectually curious and generally awesome people
- Competitive salary
- Stock options
- Unlimited vacation
- Full healthcare benefits
- Continuous learning and development with great access to executives and founders