Boxed was launched in our CEO’s garage in 2013 by our four founders; an eclectic group of experienced tech pioneers. They had a simple idea: to make shopping for bulk-sized products easy, convenient, and fun. Today, we deliver a first-class e-commerce experience for everyday essentials across the country.
We’re a late-stage start-up that places technology and innovation at the heart of all that we do. Our technology platform and automated, state-of-the-art fulfillment centers make headlines and our systems utilize machine learning, predictive analytics, and other technologies to ensure a delightful B2C and B2B online shopping experience. While technology is at the core of what we do, providing a personalized, thoughtful and seamless shopping experience is at the core of who we are. We value each and every customer and every single order receives a hand-written thank you note.
Unpack your Potential at Boxed!
Boxed is made up of a vibrant and fun group of engineers, designers, marketers, salespeople, and operations specialists – just to name a few! We work with passion for driving superior value and experience to our customers. Our customers choose to buy from Boxed because we save them time and money, which in turn makes their lives easier. That’s where you come in!
We are looking for talented software engineers to join our back-end Product Engineering team. The team’s primary mission is to build value into the overall e-commerce platform with a focus on enhancing our storefront websites and apps through well-designed and documented APIs/Back-end Services. The team is also responsible for creating and maintaining various integrations with internal and external systems. As part of this team, we expect software engineers to ensure that all services are built to be performant, reliable, scalable, and reusable.
We value any Software Engineer who can think critically and learn quickly. We often leverage open-source tools, and an API engineer should feel comfortable diving into the source code to fix bugs or understand the software when there’s a gap in the documentation. We’re a bunch of engineers who enjoy balancing time to market and robustness, and are comfortable making decisions that shape the way software will be built at Boxed for years to come.
About Product Engineering
The Product Engineering team owns all of the technology that powers our world class shopping experience. You'll be working with talented product managers, designers, engineers, and data scientists to innovate in the key areas of the eCommerce industry. You'll be working on projects that span Order Management, Payments, Content Management, Sales & Conversion, Catalog, Loyalty, and our Marketplace Services.
About Commerce Tech
We enable retailers, sellers, and brands with our platform to drive maximum value from eCommerce. The Commerce team is at the core of Boxed and is responsible for building the infrastructure to enable online sales for any business. We offer a seamless and reliable purchasing and order management platform. This means that we own the customer's journey from Cart through Checkout, and all of order's touch-points thereafter. You'll tackle the complexes of capturing customer intent, pricing, payments, promotions, cart verification, up-selling, and order capture.
In This Role, You will:
- Develop, test, and deploy APIs & event driven processes supporting our eCommerce platform using Node.js & Typescript onto Google Cloud Platform
- Be a vital part of our backend engineering team, our technology team, and the company as a whole
- Think big and boldly as we collectively drive toward providing the best global e-commerce platform
- Collaborate with our product teams in domain-driven, cross-functional teams
- Write clear documentation and thorough automated tests to ensure code stability and to reduce maintenance
- Review your peers’ code to both teach and learn while increasing the quality of our software
- Ship code that directly impacts our customers` experience
- A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent, relevant work experience
- Demonstrated results and products from 2+ years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated track record of taking initiative on projects
- Experience writing production code in backend applications using NodeJS
- Strong Database skills (e.g. MongoDB, Redis)
- Experience working with git
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with a healthy experimental attitude
- Ability to learn and adapt quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong verbal and oral communication skills – it will be necessary for you to communicate your work to the rest of the engineering team through many mediums including stand ups, documentation, presentations, and intra-team workshops
- Ability to work with and mentor small teams
- Experience with CI/CD (e.g. Jenkins)
- Experience with GraphQL
Don’t meet all of our requirements? Not a problem. We’re always looking for fast learners who may have less than a standard path or the exact skillset mentioned above. Please apply anyways and show us why you’re awesome!
OUR package for you!
Alongside our customer focus and technology DNA, we pride ourselves on our employee-centric mentality. NBC Nightly News called our CEO, Chieh Huang, “America’s Dream Boss” for our generous benefits. Our team enjoys competitive compensation plus stock options, flexible parental leave, unlimited paid time off, regular company-wide events, and lots of other perks – just some of the reasons we made Crain’s list of best places to work in NYC. We’d love to meet you, so apply today!