Boundless Bio is a San Diego-based, next generation precision oncology company employing an exciting new area of cancer biology, extrachromosomal DNA (“ecDNA”), to revolutionize the way cancer is treated. As a Principal Scientist, Bioinformatics at Boundless Bio, you will play a significant role in helping us transform exciting ecDNA discoveries into the next revolution of cancer medicines.
The role offers the opportunity to impact the discovery and development of transformational therapies in ecDNA driven cancers with high unmet medical need. The successful candidate will be responsible for supporting early target validation and translational biology groups by providing computational analysis and insights from experimental data. The role requires strong understanding of the generation, analysis, and interpretation of omics data in cancer biology, particularly data from various DNA and RNA NGS methods. Successful candidate will contribute to the design of biological experiments and lead analysis and interpretation of resulting data, generate disease hypothesis, to support biologic conclusions surrounding novel drug targets, ecDNA biology, pre-clinical decisions, and potential patient enrichment strategies.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Working in close collaboration with translational biology, pre-clinical scientists and computational biology teams in a highly energized biotech environment, responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Collaborate as a member of cross functional teams planning and executing experimental strategies to drive rational decision making across preclinical drug and translational biology programs.
- Planning, integration, analysis, and interpretation of data originating from a wide range of cellular and molecular profiling platforms, including genomic, transcriptomic, proteomic, and potentially functional assays, as well as mining public databases.
- Multivariate pattern recognition and mapping between molecular profiles of target effects and biological or disease phenotypes
- Analyze experiments using predictive translational models that can illuminate mechanisms of ecDNA biology and the impact of pharmacologic targets.
- Develop and apply innovative computational/machine learning methodologies to leverage internal, public and partner datasets and empower data-driven decisions for target prioritization and validation.
- Accelerate cutting edge predictive computational research in drug discovery utilizing new technologies, model systems and potentially machine learning-AI
- Develop data reporting and visualization methods to enable interpretation of complex datasets
- Author scientific reports, and present methods, results and conclusions to publishable standard
- Contribute to planning and execution of collaborative projects with leading academic and research groups
- PhD in cancer biology, computational biology, or bioinformatics strongly preferred.
- 8+ years of experience in applying quantitative approaches to solve biological problems in pharma or biotech research environments, with considerable depth of experience in cancer biology and omics data generation and analysis.
- Strong experience in the inter-disciplinary application of computational analysis methods to life science data
- Specific experience in applying bioinformatics approaches to validate drug targets and support lead validation and optimization in small molecule drug discovery teams.
- Significant experience in analysis of DNA NGS inclusive, i.e WGS, WES, of structural variation and copy number variation; experience with analysis of RNAseq and other large expression datasets.
- Demonstrated ability to integrate multi-omic data including molecular profiling platforms, CRISPR/shRNA, mRNA, mutational, epigenetic and proteomics profiling data, and to develop disease hypothesis in drug discovery & translational research.
- Proven expertise in the development and/or implementation of statistical and analytical algorithms to distill, analyze and interpret complex datasets.
- Familiar with various cancer genomics consortium efforts, tools, and databases
- Experience with data display and visualization methods enabling biologists to interrogate results.
- Proven problem-solving skills, collaborative nature, and adaptability across disciplines.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. Fluent verbal and written English language skills prerequisite
- Demonstrated ability to work cross functionally in a highly collaborative matrixed environment.
The anticipated annual salary range for this position is $140,000 to $180,000. The final salary offered to a successful candidate will be dependent on several factors that may include but are not limited to the type and length of experience within the job, type and length of experience within the industry, education, etc. In addition to base salary, Boundless Bio employees are eligible for an annual bonus incentive and an equity stock option grant. Boundless Bio offers a competitive benefits package including, medical, dental, vision, and life insurance for employees and their dependents. We also offer a 401(k) plan with a matching contribution in addition to a flexible time off policy.
Boundless Bio fosters an inclusive company culture that values diverse talent, backgrounds, and experiences. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, national origin, genetics, disability, age, sexual orientation, veteran status, or any other protected categories.