The Digital Insurance Platform
Boost unlocks the insurance vertical by powering white-labeled programs for innovators across all industries. Our platform helps leading technology companies and high-growth startups offer digital insurance products to their customers. Building on Boost enables companies across all segments to offer insurance products through a fully embedded experience within their own front-end environments. Boost's infrastructure-as-a-service platform significantly reduces the cost of building and managing an insurance business by packaging the necessary operational, compliance, and capital components and making them accessible through a simple API integration. That means they can focus on delivering exceptional customer experiences, product innovation, and growth.
Boost’s infrastructure-as-a-service product abstracts and simplifies an old school, complicated industry – and provides access through a cutting-edge API platform. We give our customers everything they need to quickly get to market with their own insurance products and programs which provide an important revenue opportunity. Technically, we’re a licensed managing general agency -- we’re just redefining what that means.
Our company is running fast and making waves, backed by an awesome group of investors including Greycroft, Coatue, and Norwest Venture Partners. We’re having a ton of fun, growing like crazy, and looking for forward thinking folks to join our team.
The Associate Counsel will play a critical role in the distribution, development, and management of Boost’s insurance programs including but not limited to commercial and insurance partner negotiation, transactional document drafting, supporting product development, workflow and operational compliance, and regulatory review. Reporting directly to the General Counsel, the candidate will be responsible for executing the corporate and transactional legal responsibilities of Boost as well as the legal compliance strategy across every facet of Boost's business including insurance product development, licensing, reporting, and other regulatory requirements.
The Associate Counsel will work closely with the Insurance, Growth, Operations, and Technology teams as well as external partners and stakeholders. The role requires a hungry, driven, and high-performing professional with the creative legal mind necessary to responsibly foster innovation in a highly-regulated market.
- Draft, negotiate, and manage various commercial contracts and agreements with external distribution partners, third party vendors/suppliers, brokers/agents, and insurance/reinsurance.
- Provide internal stakeholders with real-time and critical business-focused commercial legal advice for a broad range of insurance and business issues.
- Anticipate legal concerns and provide creative problem-solving in a dynamic business environment.
- Support Boost’s Growth, Insurance, and Technology teams in the vetting, development, and roll out of new insurance products offered across all personal and commercial P&C product lines.
- Execute compliance strategy involving product development, new product filings, admitted/surplus lines matters, producer licensing, and insurance program management.
- Assist with the development of policies and procedures, and standard template language to be used in contracts while creating processes that help support a rapidly growing business.
- Monitor ongoing development of new laws, rules, and regulations across all jurisdictions.
- Review and approve written communication with state insurance regulators in connection with new product filings.
- Assist in general business operations including licensing, reporting, and other compliance needs.
- Must have JD from top-tier law school.
- Must be admitted and in good standing in at least one US state bar.
- Must have 3-5+ years of relevant experience with a top law firm or in-house legal department.
- Exceptional communication skills, both written and verbal, and ability to advocate for a position while maintaining a collaborative and open-minded approach.
- Experience working in a corporate legal or contracts department and comfortable in a fast-paced environment supporting internal business clients, as well as working directly with vendors and customers.
- Excellent research skills with the ability to research statutes and regulations and communicate them effectively internally and externally to diverse stakeholders.
- Creative legal mind that is willing to find solutions rather than default to status quo.
- Must be willing to learn new things and take on new responsibilities.
- Knowledge of/experience with insurtech startups and common issues faced in that market.
- Experience drafting and revising policy language.
- Experience with insurance product filing compliance and communicating with state insurance regulators.
- Experience with both admitted and non-admitted lines is a plus.
- Previous experience working with startups or tech companies is a plus.
- Long-term goal-oriented consistent with startup life.
- Self-starter with the ability to derive need without being told exactly what to do.
- A fun, badass attitude with a desire to build something huge.
- Willingness to “get in the weeds” and “get hands dirty” with a “no task is too small” attitude.
- Adept at learning and utilizing new technologies in the workplace.
- Insatiable intellectual curiosity and creativity.
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary + equity commensurate with experience and company stage.
- Employer-Contributed Healthcare.
- Best office dogs in the business.
- Jeans and t-shirts environment.
- Huge bags of Swedish Fish.
- Work with a close-knit team that always has each other's backs.
- Work from home monthly lunch stipend.