The Digital Insurance Platform
Boost unlocks the insurance vertical by powering white-labeled programs for innovators across all industries. Our platform helps leading technology companies and high-growth startups offer digital insurance products to their customers. Building on Boost enables companies across all segments to offer insurance products through a fully embedded experience within their own front-end environments. Boost's infrastructure-as-a-service platform significantly reduces the cost of building and managing an insurance business by packaging the necessary operational, compliance, and capital components and making them accessible through a simple API integration. That means they can focus on delivering exceptional customer experiences, product innovation, and growth.
Boost’s infrastructure-as-a-service product abstracts and simplifies an old school, complicated industry – and provides access through a cutting-edge API platform. We give our customers everything they need to quickly get to market with their own insurance products and programs which provide an important revenue opportunity. Technically, we’re a licensed managing general agency -- we’re just redefining what that means.
Our company is running fast and making waves, backed by an awesome group of investors including Greycroft, Coatue, and Norwest Venture Partners. We’re having a ton of fun, growing like crazy, and looking for forward thinking folks to join our team.
Boost is looking for a Controller to lead the development of financial processes as we continue to scale.
As Controller, you will work and report directly to Boot's Chief Financial Officer to build and define all the financial operations and processes for Boost. You will lead and manage our general corporate accounting ensuring the accurate and timely deliver or financial report, reconciliation and month/year-end-close processes. In addition, you will work with treasury and have the opportunity to implement the appropriate systems, processes and financial tools to develop a financial infrastructure that ensures accuracy during this high-growth period for the Company.
- General Corporate Accounting: Manage our external accounting partner and lead all financial accounting activities, including internal financial reporting for multiple legal entities, financial reconciliations, and timely and accurate month/year-end-close processes.
- Internal Controls: Develop and document business processes and accounting policies to maintain and strengthen internal controls.
- Audit and SOC1: Launch and manage our first annual financial audit process and develop and execute on a process to achieve SOC 1 type I and II certifications.
- Finance Tools and Process: Identify and implement appropriate financial tools, systems, and processes to improve the accuracy and efficiency of our broader finance operations.
- Cash Management:
- Reconciliation and settlement of revenue from payment card transactions.
- Manage AP/AR and treasury funds flow and optimization of payment processes.
- Liaise with our Financial Reporting Manager who runs insurance partner financial and statutory reporting and related reconciliations and analysis.
Requirements & Qualifications
- Active CPA with 8-10+ years of experience in accounting, financial, and analytical roles.
- 1-4+ years of people and team management.
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or Finance.
- Preferred Industry Exposure: Public Accounting (Big 4) and Insurance industry. Insurance industry experience with an MGA, Carrier, or Reinsurer is required. Bonus points for experience with InsurTech / FinTech / SaaS.
- Comprehensive knowledge and experience with general accounting, month-end close procedures, eliminations and consolidations, controls, internal reporting & analytics, and working with external auditors.
- Good knowledge of US GAAP; conceptual and practical experience in researching, understanding, and communicating technical accounting issues and conclusions.
- Experience developing and implementing financial systems and controls to enable financial audits
- Strong project management skills, attention to detail, accuracy, ability to work independently and multi-task, work under pressure, meet deadlines and be able to thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- Strong communication skills (written and oral)
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Short and long-term goal-oriented, consistent with startup work dynamics
- Self-starter with the ability to derive need without being told exactly what to do
- A positive attitude and resilient
- Willingness to get in the weeds with a “no task is too small” attitude
- Adept at learning and utilizing new technologies
- Insatiable intellectual curiosity and creativity
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary + equity commensurate with experience and company stage
- Company Sponosred 401k
- Healthcare with employer contribution
- Additional wellness benefits
- A close-knit team that always has each other's backs
- Best office dogs in the business
- Jeans and t-shirts environment
- Huge bags of Swedish Fish
- Office Beer (it’s 5 o'clock somewhere)
- Work from home monthly snack and lunch stipend