The Digital Insurance Platform
Boost unlocks the insurance vertical by powering white-labeled programs for innovators across all industries. Our platform helps leading technology companies and high-growth startups offer digital insurance products to their customers. Building on Boost enables companies across all segments to offer insurance products through a fully embedded experience within their own front-end environments. Boost's infrastructure-as-a-service platform significantly reduces the cost of building and managing an insurance business by packaging the necessary operational, compliance, and capital components and making them accessible through a simple API integration. That means they can focus on delivering exceptional customer experiences, product innovation, and growth.
Boost’s infrastructure-as-a-service product abstracts and simplifies an old school, complicated industry – and provides access through a cutting-edge API platform. We give our customers everything they need to quickly get to market with their own insurance products and programs which provide an important revenue opportunity. Technically, we’re a licensed managing general agency -- we’re just redefining what that means.
Our company is running fast and making waves, backed by an awesome group of investors including Greycroft, Coatue, and Norwest Venture Partners. We’re having a ton of fun, growing like crazy, and looking for forward thinking folks to join our team.
This role offers a creative and forward-thinking actuary the unique opportunity to be part of a bottoms-up approach to product development. You will be able to set insurance pricing and rating while working cross-functionally to support our Growth and Tech teams and create innovative digital insurance programs with some of the most cutting-edge technology companies in the world.
Reporting directly to the Chief Insurance Officer, Boost’s Senior Actuary will play a critical role on the Insurance Team while working cross functionally to support the development of new products and programs through analysis of competitive marketplace, loss projections, and pricing structure.
The Senior Actuary will act as a product line expert and maintain a thorough knowledge of product features and benefits as well as industry product trends and develop tools that monitor and measure rate adequacy and determine expected loss ratios for Boost’s program partners. The Senior Actuary will be responsible for analyzing the profitability of ongoing programs to determine and execute necessary changes to achieve desired returns.
- Implement pricing for new products and manage the maintenance and enhancement of existing products.
- Lead the rate review process, including the proposal, filing and implementation of all pricing and product changes.
- Develop actuarially sound pricing and rating for new products.
- Maintain current knowledge of competitor actions, industry pricing and rate developments and collaborate with the Product Innovation Manager to meet the needs of Boost’s program partners.
- Analyze products in existing states to ensure competitive position, underwriting profitability, and assist in recommending and implementing changes from inception through systems implementation.
- Lead the review and analysis of general industry assumptions to use in determining loss profiles.
- Assist in preparing premium funding and reserving reports on Boost’s programs for Boost’s Reinsurance Facility.
- Collaborate cross-functionally in the research and diligence of potential program opportunities.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Must have 5+ years of experience as a P&C actuary
- ACAS designation required; FCAS designation preferred
- Expertise in insurance pricing and reserving principles
- Demonstrated experience developing pricing models from scratch
- Experience in SQL/PostgreSQL or other database tools
- Experience with modeling in Python or other modeling tools
- Ability to translate insurance pricing models into financial projections
- Willing to work in New York City full-time or relocate
- Authorized to work in the United States
- Experience developing catastrophe models
- Reinsurance modeling and pricing experience
- Experience developing pricing models in multiple lines of business
- Working knowledge of insurtech trends, alternative pricing and analytics models, and the startup landscape
- Previous experience working at startups or tech companies
- Fun and inclusive personality that works (and plays!) well in teams
- Badass startup attitude motivated by building something huge and doing things differently
- Collaborative style that thrives in a high-energy and open work environment
- Self-starter approach that identifies problems and finds solutions
- Willingness to get in the weeds and get their hands dirty because no task is too small
- Insatiable intellectual curiosity and creativity
Compensation & Benefits
- Salary + equity commensurate with experience and company stage
- Healthcare with employer contribution
- Additional wellness benefits
- A close-knit team that always has each other's backs
- Best office dogs in the business
- Jeans and t-shirts environment
- Huge bags of Swedish Fish
- Office Beer (it’s 5 o'clock somewhere)
- Work from home monthly snack and lunch stipend