About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking a Computational Controls & Dynamics Engineer to join the development team of the Overture supersonic airliner. You will be responsible for supporting the design of Flight Controls, Doors & Auxiliary Mechanisms, Hydraulics and Landing Gear on the Overture supersonic airliner, working with the Overture Design group to assist in electro-mechanical system design and support of other multi-disciplinary development activities of the Overture aircraft.
- Working with the Overture design group (especially Electro-Mechanical & Flight Sciences disciplines) to assess the electronic and mechanical functions and characteristics of the various electro-mechanical systems.
- Developing the architecture of the Electro-Mechanical Systems for Overture.
- Evaluating the frequency and time-domain performance of the Flight Controls, Doors & Auxiliary Mechanisms, Hydraulics and Landing Gear, etc.
- Evaluating behavior in the presence of failures and compliance to the safety requirements.
- Creation of tools for Electro-Mechanical Systems development.
- Soliciting feedback from other design disciplines and interfacing with suppliers.
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering with 10 or more years of experience in aerospace or an equivalent combination of technical education and aerospace experience
- Significant experience with simulation/analysis of ﬂight control subsystem models using MSC.Adams and MSC.Easy5 and a working knowledge of MSC.Nastran and MSC.Patran.
- Solid experience with closed-loop hydraulic actuation system analysis and design.
- Working knowledge of aerodynamics, structural dynamics and aircraft load requirements levied against electro-mechanical systems enabling efficient interface with flight sciences design teams.
- Experience in aircraft flight test, and system and equipment qualification on a 14 CFR Part 25 and CS-25 certification program.
- Experience with hardware-in-the-loop testing at supplier and airframe integration labs as well as certification flight test environments.
- Excellent understanding of electro-hydraulic actuation systems, rigid and flexible body dynamics.
- Experience with development of or revision of certification plans for a new or amended type certification project.
- In depth knowledge of aircraft and system development assurance objectives as described in ARP4754.
- Effective communication skills.
Preferred Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Experience communicating complex technical results to a wide audience.
- Experience interfacing with the Federal Aviation Administration or the European Union Aviation Safety Agency is preferred.
- Development of custom scripts for MSC.Adams, MSC.Easy5 and MATLAB is preferred.
The Base Salary Range for this position is $120,000 - $165,000. Actual salaries will vary based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here.
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.