About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking an Applied Aerodynamics Engineer to join the Overture team. You will be collaborating with various Boom Engineering team members to refine existing configurations and innovate to develop Boom’s future aircraft family members. Responsibilities will include executing CFD, analyzing and characterizing aircraft aerodynamics, performing trade studies, developing and refining aerodynamic model definition, and comparing wind tunnel test results to analytical predictions.
A typical day at work would be
- Analyzing aerodynamic data across subsonic and supersonic flight regimes.
- Perform trade studies based on weight, drag, SFC, & acoustics.
- Research existing technologies or develop new approaches to optimize performance
- Perform aerodynamic shape optimization using CFD
- Perform detailed CFD studies to increase fidelity of aerodynamic data
- Applying analysis results to aerodynamic databases to assess effects
- Document and present findings and proposed changes to peers and leadership
- Collaborating with a variety of other engineering groups (loads, propulsion, flight controls)
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering, mathematics, or physics with 5 or more years of experience in aerospace or an equivalent combination of technical education and experience
- Solid foundations in aerodynamics and aircraft design
- Exceptional knowledge of CFD and aerodynamic optimization
- Excellent computer programming skills, with solid experience in a linux environment and use of codes - Python / Matlab / Simulink
- Strong understanding of force and moment accounting for aerodynamic databases
- Wind tunnel model development and test execution experience
- Clear understanding of certification requirements impacts on design
- 5+ years of experience in aerodynamics or relevant field
- Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace Engineering
- Effective communication skills
- Collaborative mindset
Nice to have
- Advanced Engineering Degree
- Experience in commercial aircraft
- Proficient in Catia or other CAD systems
- Understanding of aircraft performance and related analysis methodology
- Understanding of aircraft stability and control and related analysis methodology
- Communicating complex technical results to a wide audience
- Experience in generation of aerodynamic databases
- Working hands-on with aircraft
The Base Salary Range for this position is $96,000 - $120,000. Actual salaries will vary based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.