About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking a Principal Aerodynamics Engineer to join the Overture team. You will be collaborating with various Boom Engineering team members to refine existing configurations and innovate to develop Boom’s future aircraft family members.
Responsibilities will include providing senior guidance and review, analyzing aircraft aerodynamic performance, performing and reviewing trade studies, and performing deep dives into CFD analysis and wind tunnel test results.
- Provide senior review of applied aerodynamics work products to include schedule and technical planning, aerodynamic trade studies, CFD setup and execution, wind tunnel analysis
- Analyze aerodynamic data across subsonic and supersonic flight regimes.
- Research existing technologies or develop new approaches to optimize performance
- Independently audit techniques and accounting of aerodynamic databases
- Document and present findings and proposed changes to the team and management
- Collaborate with a variety of other engineering groups (loads, propulsion, flight controls)
- Provide mentorship and guidance to colleagues
- Bachelor, Master or Doctorate of Science degree in engineering with 15 or more years of experience in aerospace or an equivalent combination of technical education and aerospace experienceSolid foundations in aerodynamic flow physics and aircraft integration
- Strong understanding of force and moment accounting for aerodynamic databases
- Wind tunnel model development and test execution experience
- Strong understanding of aerodynamic data maturation through aircraft lifecycle
- Clear understanding of certification requirements impacts on design
- Effective communication skills
- Collaborative mindset
Nice to have:
- Advanced Engineering Degree
- Experience in commercial aircraft development
- Experience in supersonic aircraft development
- Experience with aerodynamic icing analysis
- Experience in clean sheet design of aircraft through flight test
- Communicating complex technical results to a wide audience
- Working hands-on with aircraft
The Base Salary Range for this position is $156,000 - $195,000. Actual salaries will vary based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.