About Boom Supersonic
Boom Supersonic is transforming air travel with Overture, the world’s fastest airliner — optimized for speed, safety, and sustainability. Serving both civil and government markets, Overture will fly at twice the speed of today’s airliners and is designed to run on 100% sustainable aviation fuel (SAF). Boom’s vision is to bring families, businesses, and cultures closer together through supersonic travel and make the world dramatically more accessible.
Are you passionate about building the supersonic future? Come join the team and help us make aviation history!
We are seeking a Wind Tunnel Engineer to join the Overture team. You will be responsible for managing the schedule, budget, and technical execution of wind tunnel activities. These will span external aerodynamic, inlet, nozzle, and acoustics wind tunnel tests. You will be collaborating with Boom engineers as well as outside wind tunnel facilities and model vendors.
A typical day at work would be:
- Coordinating with wind tunnel test facilities
- Coordinating with model vendors
- Supporting contractual process with tunnel facilities and model vendors
- Managing schedules and presenting status
- Managing test budget and reporting status
- Supporting efforts for establishing testing deliverables
- Working with Boom engineers to define tests and resolve issues
- Helping ensure wind tunnel facility requirements for testing and model build are conveyed to Boom engineers and model vendors
- Manipulating test geometry with CAD software
- Document testing processes
- Bachelor's Degree in Aerospace Engineering with 10 or more years of experience
- 5+ years of experience in aircraft wind tunnel testing
- Planning and running wind tunnel testing at major wind tunnel facilities
- Strong understanding of test instrumentation and data reduction methodology
- Excellent computer skills and plotting experience - UWAL, Tecplot, Matlab, Python
- Strong understanding of aircraft development process and how testing supports it
- Strong understanding of aerodynamic database buildup
- Strong understanding of compressible flow fundamentals
- Effective communication skills
- Collaborative mindset
Would be nice to have:
- Advanced Engineering Degree
- Experience in commercial aircraft
- Proficient in lofting in CATIA or other CAD systems
- Experience with acoustics testing
- Strong understanding of aircraft performance, stability and control
- Communicating complex technical results to a wide audience
- Working knowledge
- Experience with internal flows, i.e. inlet and nozzle testing
The Base Salary Range for this position is $120,000 - $150,000. Actual salaries will vary based on factors including but not limited to location, experience, and performance. The range listed is just one component of Boom’s total rewards package for employees. Other rewards may include performance bonuses, long term incentives/equity, an open PTO policy, and many other progressive benefits.
To conform to U.S. Government aerospace technology export regulations (ITAR and EAR), applicant must be a U.S. citizen, lawful permanent resident of the U.S., protected individual as defined by 8 U.S.C 1324b(a)(3), or eligible to obtain the required authorizations from the U.S. Department of State. Learn more about ITAR here (https://www.pmddtc.state.gov/?id=ddtc_public_portal_itar_landing)
Boom is an equal opportunity employer and we value diversity. All employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need.
Want to build a faster future? Come join Boom.