Product Owner – Booking.com Cars
We're BookingGo, the ground transport division of Booking.com. We're the ones who empower people to get where they're going. Whether they're taking the wheel or sitting back and leaving it to the driver. Whether they're heading straight from A to B or enjoying the freedom to go wherever their journey takes them.
To do that, we offer car hire to our customers through Rentalcars.com and car hire, taxis and ticketed transfer services through Booking.com. We also have a B2B solution, Rentalcars Connect, providing great ground transportation options to the customers of our partners.
With our HQ in Manchester, we're part of the worldwide Booking.com family. At the same time, we're proud of our own unique identity. Speaking 42 languages, our 2,000+ staff come from all over the world, just like our customers. What brings us together is our love of adventure: our own as well as other people's. It's easy to be passionate about a job that enriches so many lives on a daily basis, and our workplace reflects our passion, our diversity, our global focus. Just search "Manchester's coolest office" and see for yourself.
And we're in good company. Together with priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, and OpenTable, we're part of Booking Holdings, the world leader in online travel and related services.
About the role
You will be responsible for delivering a significant part of the experience for car rental bookers on Booking.com. You’ll work with key stakeholders from our marketing and commercial functions to ensure solutions are fit for purpose across the whole business, as well as working with other product teams in both Manchester and Amsterdam to deliver a product that integrates seamlessly into the wider business.
We are looking for both aspiring and seasoned Product Owners with a range of experience designing, building and running web and app-based products. You’ll be at home leading multi-disciplinary teams - perhaps more than one. You might currently have the title of Product Manager or Owner; or you might also be currently working in a more specialised role like user research, design or development, and want to expand on your skill set and move into a wider leadership role.
Here’s a run-down of what to expect in the role day to day.
In the early stages of product discovery, you’ll clarify user needs with researchers and design colleagues. You’ll analyse customer feedback and distil those insights into concrete opportunities to solve their problems.
You will also define the ways your product gets held to account, and ensure those metrics get tracked. You’ll articulate your vision to a cross-functional team, and break up its delivery into meaningful, achievable goals. You’ll be on point for translating user needs and business requirements into compelling and clear user stories designers can use to draw user flows and interactions, and developers can use to build the product or service.
You’ll set your roadmap with other product owners and make sure wherever possible, tech and design patterns are reused. You’ll lead, organise, and inspire the team with sharp analysis and well-articulated decisions. You’ll find ever more inventive ways to make the development process more efficient, productive, and fun. And you’ll champion your product with colleagues and stakeholders.
To successfully deliver change in a fast-paced working environment you will need to:
- Develop of deep understanding of our customer needs with regards to promotions and incentives, and use these to deliver a product that engages customers
- Work with senior stakeholders from across the business to define the product strategy and roadmap, and delver against this
- Work collaboratively with a delivery team of developers, designers and testers to design and deliver products to delight our customers
- Be accountable for the end-to-end delivery of your product
- Work with agile coaches and your team to drive continuous efficiency improvements
- Communicate with multiple key stakeholders to keep them up to date and bought into your product development
- Work with marketing and front end product teams to ensure that promotions are surfaced and communicated effectively
- Work with teams in Amsterdam to make sure that our product strategy is aligned with the wider booking.com strategy where appropriate, to share best practice and tooling and to ensure we’re capitalising on opportunities created by the wider business
- Analytical in approach; driven by a desire to deliver a measurable impact to business performance
- Experienced in identifying business requirements and processes for complex back end systems in a product owner capacity
- Able to communicate effectively to all levels within the business
- Capable of bringing together stakeholders from a variety of business functions, and aligning them to a common vision
- Plans and prioritises effectively; comfortable with ambiguity and pragmatism when plans change
- Be able to understand the large strategic vision, as changes to the platform will span multiple product lines
- Must: Working knowledge of modern web technology, including databases
- Desirable: Be able to write basic SQL queries to retrieve data about customers and suppliers