Who are we?
We're BookingGo, the ground transport division of Booking.com. We're the ones who empower people to get where they're going. Whether they're taking the wheel or sitting back and leaving it to the driver. Whether they're heading straight from A to B or enjoying the freedom to go wherever their journey takes them.
To do that, we offer car hire to our customers through our Rentalcars.com brand and car hire, taxis and ticketed transfer services through Booking.com. We also have a B2B solution, Rentalcars Connect, providing great ground transportation options to the customers of our partners
With our HQ in Manchester, we're part of the worldwide Booking.com family. At the same time, we're proud of our own unique identity. Speaking 42 languages, our 2,000+ staff come from all over the world, just like our customers. What brings us together is our love of adventure: our own as well as other people's. It's easy to be passionate about a job that enriches so many lives on a daily basis, and our workplace reflects our passion, our diversity, our global focus. Just search "Manchester's coolest office" and see for yourself, we are also investing in our future with a new office being custom built in the Manchester Goods Yard for 2020.
And we're in good company. Together with priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, and OpenTable, we're part of Booking Holdings, the world leader in online travel and related services.
Where we are going
- Cross functional agile teams who own their products in a Continuous Delivery DevOps environment
- Revolutionise our online customer experience through a great web site and mobile app
- Data driven decisions using Kibana, Hadoop, monitoring, Big Data, MI and MVT testing
- Continuous improvement, keeping it simple and developing the team
- Great engineering practices with a focus on TDD and BDD principles and a strong focus on non-functional requirements at the beginning rather than an afterthought
- Decoupled service orientated architecture with resilience and adaptability built in
What we offer in return
- Ownership of your work and a great technical challenge
- A great new office to work in the heart of Manchester
- Great facilities including subsidised canteen and Starbucks, free breakfast & fruit and cycle hub
- An exciting and dynamic place to work
- 25 days paid holiday plus bank holidays
- Great discounts on car rentals and other group benefits
- Opportunity to shape the future of the team
- Software development kit that works
Who we are looking for
We are looking for a superb and enthusiastic MySQL Database Administrator who will push the boundaries on engineering brilliant solutions and contribute to shaping our new future. We expect you to have the energy and passion to deliver using a whole range of technologies and have a solid understanding of engineering and security principles.
- You have specialised knowledge and experience installing, configuring and upgrading MySQL as well as experience troubleshooting and providing operational support.
- You have experience implementing highly-available infrastructure for high volume transactional sites, e-commerce websites being a plus.
- You have solid experience with designing, implementing and testing backup and recovery solutions.
- You have awareness of security best practices and practical experience with their implementation.
- You are passionate about operational automation and have developed scripts, tools or dashboards to facilitate working with large environments (+100 servers).
- You enjoy working as part of a team and sharing your knowledge but you can work with minimal supervision.
- You have long term focus and have the ability contribute towards each step of the technical roadmap; to improve our system architecture and promote performance and scalability.
Minimum qualifications required:
- Experience operating MySQL at scale in a production environment.
- Experience deploying software to Linux environments, at scale.
- Configuration management and orchestration with Puppet, Chef or Ansible
- Practical understanding of security best practices
- Basic understanding of TCP/IP networking
- Scripting skills (Python or Bash)
- Experience using Orchestrator, ProxySQL or MHA.
- Experience using Couchbase in a production environment.
- Experience working with virtualised environments or cloud-based solutions, such as AWS or GCP.
- Working within the team of locally based and remote DBAs, defining working standards and practices and providing feedback to teams
- Working with in house Security team to ensure best practices are in place.
- Actively monitoring the performance and stability of the database estate at BookingGo, using your analytical skills to anticipate future problems and resolve them effectively
- Propose, develop, implement systems and system architecture, security and automation/orchestration.
- Troubleshooting and resolving problems with other systems administrators, database administrators, software developers, and commercial business colleagues.
- Supporting the rapid development and deployment of internal software and systems.
- Provide excellent service in response to commercial business requirements
- Documenting systems and communicating technical knowledge to colleagues
- Participate in an on-call rotation for out of hours’ support