Technical Principal Product Owner: BookingGo
Location: Manchester, UK
We're BookingGo, the ground transport division of Booking.com. We're the ones who empower people to get where they're going. Whether they're taking the wheel or sitting back and leaving it to the driver. Whether they're heading straight from A to B or enjoying the freedom to go wherever their journey takes them.
To do that, we offer car hire to our customers through our Rentalcars.com brand and car hire, taxis and ticketed transfer services through Booking.com. We also have a B2B solution, Rentalcars Connect, providing great ground transportation options to the customers of our partners
With our HQ in Manchester, we're part of the worldwide Booking.com family. At the same time, we're proud of our own unique identity. Speaking 42 languages, our 2,000+ staff come from all over the world, just like our customers. What brings us together is our love of adventure: our own as well as other people's. It's easy to be passionate about a job that enriches so many lives on a daily basis, and our workplace reflects our passion, our diversity, our global focus. Just search "Manchester's coolest office" and see for yourself.
And we're in good company. Together with priceline.com, KAYAK, agoda.com, and OpenTable, we're part of Booking Holdings, the world leader in online travel and related services.
About the role and the product
Rentalcars.com is the world’s biggest aggregator of rental cars, and part of the wider Booking Holdings Group that includes Priceline.com, OpenTable, Agoda, and of course Booking.com. Rentalcars.com announced in January 2018 that it was becoming BookingGo, the ground transport division of Booking.com. Since then, the two businesses have been hard at work integrating people and technology to ensure we collaborate more effectively and do what’s right for the Booking.com customer.
About the Product team
We are a multi-disciplinary Product team focused on building amazing products and services for our customers: we create amazing customer experiences, optimized for conversion and are passionate about making our customers frequent and loyal. We are passionate about our customers and strive to learn everything we can about their behaviour to help us design and develop the best experience for them. We are a fully Product-centric company with over 55 Product Teams that take full ownership of the critical areas of the business.
As a Technical Principal Product Owner you will lead a number of Product Teams that have a more technical focus across our platforms and capabilities. These product teams cover BookingGo core services / APIs in the areas of Payments, Accounts as well Partner Tools and Business facing operational and business intelligence systems. You will be an integral member of the Product Leadership Team and work closely the BookingGo Leadership Team as well.
About You & the Role
Reporting into the Chief Product Officer, the role is transformational at BookingGo. It involves evolving our SoA (Service Oriented Architecture) thinking and bringing best practices to transform and scale our platform and technical product capabilities. Our ambition is to a create a services and API centric Product Group – similar to AWS – where capabilities are built in an agile and scalable way – but only built once – and then reused across both BookingGo and potentially Booking.com
You are an industry leader when it comes to technical product design and are comfortable with service orientated architectures – you have managed and developed worldclass technical Product teams.
We are looking for a creative, commercially minded, get-stuff-done product leader who can organise multiple product teams and keep them focused on building the right things, at the right pace.
- 10+ years technical product experience
- 8+ years of Product team management experience
- Ability to lead, inspire and influence technical Product Owners, and technically minded teams.
- Solid understanding of SoA, APIs, mico-services
- Data driven and results focused approach
- Excellent communication, leadership and time management skills
- Degree educated at a top Institution
- Develop a deep understanding of current and future customer, business and supply partner needs and translating that into a solid vision and proposition.
- Work with Product and Engineering Leadership and other key stakeholders to refine the overall strategy for platform and capabilities to deliver against those needs
- Help build your own team based on the strategy you define and make sure your team is on-board: a happy team will do great things
- Be accountable for the end-to-end delivery of your product portfolio, including wider integration with Booking.com, plus third-party providers and supply partner systems as needed. You’ll work closely with our go to market function to ensure your releases and scaling are a success
- Communicate with your key stakeholders to keep them up to date and bought into your product phasing and development
- Work with agile coaches and your team to drive continuous improvement
- Keep an eye on our competitors, supply partners and wider technology initiatives to ensure we are ahead of the curve and exploring new ideas as needed
In the role you will be:
Laser-focused on delivery.
Really comfortable working in highly collaborative spheres. We are a business built upon solid commercial and technical partnerships and you’ll be leveraging these every day on the job
Analytical in approach; determined and passionate about delivering the right impact in the right way. Build > Measure > Learn is second nature
Great at the fundamentals such as brilliant story writing and managing your product backlog: Absolute responsibility for creating stories, defining business acceptance criteria, being the proxy for the customer / business domain, maintaining and communicating the intent and problem roadmap
Great at living, breathing and doing ‘dual-track agile’
Keen to understand how business processes and systems work; not afraid to get into the detail and you understand the value that service design adds
Committed to personal and professional development; you seek and act on feedback
Able to communicate effectively to all levels within our business
Able to plan and prioritise effectively; comfortable with ambiguity and pragmatism when plans change
A keen advocate our BookingGo company values:
We love being different
We love getting it done
We love doing stuff together
We love straight talking
We love having fun
Please contact us for more details and come and join us to make this happen.