Bonobos is looking for a temporary or contract Senior Scrum Master / Program Manager / Release Train Engineer (RTE) with Scaled Agile (SAFe) experience who can serve as Program Manager/RTE and SAFe subject matter expert for our Agile Release Train (ART) as our Director of Delivery Leadership transitions to maternity leave.
At Bonobos, we’re redefining how customers browse, discover and shop for apparel. As the first digitally native apparel company in the US, we are poised to make groundbreaking advances in how customers shop. Bonobos is uniquely positioned to delight customers by connecting our showroom stores (we call them Guideshop locations) to our online experiences. We're inventing the future of retail and our customers are fanatical about our clothes and our world-class customer service.
Initially reporting to our Director of Delivery Leadership, you’ll acclimate to our teams & the work we do and assess where we stand in our arc towards SAFe maturity, so you can recommended enhancements & improvements to our SAFe practice (your previous experience with SAFe sets you apart among our ART as we are largely new to SAFe). You’ll serve as the most experienced scrum master on our delivery leadership team, where you’ll mentor our two existing scrum masters/CSMs and run weekly scrum of scrums sessions.
Once you’re on board with our teams, our work, and our scrum & SAFe practices to date, you’ll assume the role of Program Manager / RTE while our Director of Delivery Leadership takes maternity leave. You’ll people-manage our two scrum masters and report directly to our CTO (and recent SPC!) during this time.
We're looking for a player/coach who is excited to help our teams drive execution progress as an RTE & improvement as a SAFe SME. You’ll liaise across the entire business with frequent collaboration with our Engineering, Information Systems, Data Analytics & Science, Product and User Experience teams. You’ll also have the opportunity to interact with key partners in Marketing, Merchandising, Consumer Experience, Planning, Finance and Accounting.
What you'll do...
- Actively onboard to our teams and the work we do, plus gain first-hand insights to where we are in our journey to adopt SAFe, so that you can recommend improvements & enhancements to practice
- Operate as the most experienced scrum master on our Delivery Leadership team---leading by example, coaching our two existing scrum masters as they develop their practice of scrum and assessing the scrum maturity of the larger team and organization. You’ll coach the teams to higher levels of maturity, at a pace that is sustainable and comfortable for the team and organization.
- Serve as a SAFe subject matter expert for both our existing scrum master/Delivery leadership team and our larger Technology Delivery team-of-teams/ART. You’ll use your SAFe experience to help us avoid pitfalls and recommend enhancements to our SAFe practice as we evolve to launch additional Agile Release Trains (ARTs), add Portfolio Management, Epic Roadmaps, etc.
- Transition to serve as Program Manager & Release Train Engineer (RTE) for our ART, as our Director of Delivery Leadership transitions to maternity leave. You’ll actively drive progress for the ART and plan and facilitate ART level events like System demos, inspect & adapt sessions, PI planning, etc.
- Assist & supplement SAFe training for new hires, functional partners, etc. currently led by our CTO (& recent SPC!)
- Manage the program backlog of improvements coming out of retrospectives and inspect & adapt activities
- Guide the teams in self-organizing to fill in the intentional gaps left in the SAFe & Scrum frameworks
- Add & improve relevant reporting at both working team and program levels (real time, data per sprint, program increment (PI) in aggregate, etc.), for the purposes of internal (technology group) & external communications, towards the end of radiating information and improving transparency. You’ll also drive any needed JIRA configurations & enhancements required to enable this.
- Serve as scrum master for one or two delivery teams, as needed
- Have extensive experience as a scrum master and experience in program management
- Have experience as a Release Train Engineer (RTE)
- Have excellent skills and knowledge of servant leadership, facilitation, situational awareness, conflict resolution, continual improvement, empowerment, and increasing transparency
- Have knowledge of numerous well documented patterns and techniques for filling in the intentional gaps left in the Scrum approach (example: numerous Burndown techniques, numerous Retrospective formats, handling bugs, etc.)
- Have 3-5 years’ experience working within the Scaled Agile (SAFe) framework
- Hold a Scrum master certification (CSM), SAFe SSM or SASM certification. A SAFe RTE certification is preferred.
- Are detailed in your work, while maintaining the ability to see the overall picture and challenge the traditional path
- Work collaboratively with team members to achieve team initiatives
- Are curious and like to experiment---you are adaptable and comfortable with change
- Convey a can-do, positive attitude towards tackling problems
- Are able to see other points-of-view while maintaining confident direction
- Have the willingness to roll up your sleeves and do what’s necessary
- Preferably, have retail/e-commerce/omnichannel fashion experience
- Preferably, have experience coaching product owners & product managers for development
- Preferably, have knowledge of other Agile approaches: XP, Kanban, Crystal, FDD, etc.
- Preferably, have knowledge and/or experience with widely successful Agile techniques: User Stories, ATDD, TDD, Continuous Integration, Continuous Testing, Pairing, Automated Testing, Agile Games
- Work hard because we love what we’re doing, but also believe in balance (say hello to flex PTO!)
- Back up our talk with a competitive compensation and benefits package, challenging projects, random acts of team-wide fun and awesome co-workers that feel like family
- Value self-awareness, intellectual honesty, judgment, empathy & positive energy---often over experience
- Are located in the Flatiron District in the heart of Manhattan
- Have a passion for delivering a superior experience to our customers, clients, vendors & one another
- Are excited to hear from you