Bonobos is looking for an Engineering Manager who is excited to co-lead an initiative team to help build experiences that surprise and delight our customers.
At Bonobos, our goal is to create experiences online that lead to surprise and delight offline in our Guideshop locations - and vice-versa. For example, we'd love to have customers' online wishlist items ready for them when they arrive, or build an app that continues the Guideshop experience when the customer leaves the store.
Our team is a scrappy group of 18 engineers who are responsible for a 9-figure business that is growing 40% year-over-year. We get to the best technical solutions by discussing complex questions as a team. We don’t hesitate to change our approach when we hear a better idea. We practice code reviews, automated testing and pair programming when needed. We deploy to production several times a day.
What you’ll do...
- Co-lead the team with a Product Manager and UX Designer that are both dedicated to the same initiative team. An initiative team consists of the above and ~5 engineers, they own specific initiatives/goals/projects throughout the year
- Serve as the technical manager for that team
- Answer questions and unblock issues brought forth by your team and the engineering team
- Create detailed engineering plans, processes, and procedures for engineering staff to use and abide by
- Check and confirm the accuracy of the work performed and the methods used by your team
- Advocate for unit, functional, end to end testing and quality assurance checks to verify the quality of projects
- Hire, train, and supervise engineers for your team
- Responsible for the coaching, growth, mentorship and career development of your direct reports
- Communicate and collaborate with other managers, vendors, and contractors
- Prepare and deliver various engineering-related presentations, both internally and externally
- Have a bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience
- Have at least 6 years of engineering experience
- Have 1+ years of engineering management experience
- Have an analytical and logical mindset, and are capable of evaluating and solving various complex problems
- Are a natural leader and have skills necessary to manage and develop a team
- Are organized and an excellent project manager who is able to keep projects, processes, and the entire engineering team on track
- Are self-motivated and have the ability to multitask and thrive in a timeline-driven environment
- Have interpersonal communication skills with expertise in distilling complicated topics to a broader audience
- Have the ability to work individually or as part of a team
- A collaborative & close-knit team: our team is NYC-based and in the office because as great as technology is, there are few substitutes for in-person collaboration
- A team that takes pride in our work and shares responsibility to see it through from conception to deployment to fixing bugs
- Top of the line equipment: your choice of hardware, standing desks, two 27" monitors, and more
- A competitive comp and benefits package, including bonus
- An environment that values honesty, transparency and respect
- Random acts of team-wide fun including in-office happy hours, board game nights, bar nights, book club, and "Camp Bonobos"